9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
38.9 K Views
Topic starter
(@tallulah)
Estimable Member

Hiya,
Sorry not sure if I've posted this in the right topic area?

I wondered if anyone else has had this same experience? I was doing a back massage on oneof my clients yesterday and when she got up afterwards she said that one of her eyes was really blurry - she could see but it was just out of focus? She doesn't wear glasses or contact lenses.

She has never had this before after massages and I was really concerned about her. She left and then text me later to say that it had been annoying for a while but then went and she's absolutely fine! Thank goodness!

Does anyone have any ideas on what could have caused this?

thanks,

sxx

8 Replies
(@therapy-heaven)
Reputable Member

RE: Blurry Eyes after massage

Hi,

Might your client have transferred oil from her skin to her eye without realising?
Seems especially likely if she reported irritation.
Easy to do if she was resting her head on her folded arms.

Regards

Topic starter
(@tallulah)
Estimable Member

Hi Therapyheaven,

I did think that initially but I hadn't massaged her arms, only her back and also she had her arms at the side of the couch and not resting on them?

I wondered if she had been laying on a pressure point on her forehead, but she didn't have any red marks there and also she had a face pillow?

Very odd!

best wishes,

Angelhouse
(@angelhouse)
Trusted Member

Hi Tallulah,

May seem a bit odd but I've had this too. I tend to get it when my neck is ever so slightly out of alignment. Doesn't have to be much and it doesn't cause pain. Just something I've noticed during Osteopath visits. Usually relieved by stretching neck muscles. Maybe your lady just had her head in the one position for too long.

Hope this helps.

AG
[sm=angel_sm029.gif]

Gussie
(@gussie)
Famed Member

I get it sometimes when I've been lying on my face. Did she have her face on the couch or in a face cradle as it happens more commonly then, specially if you are applying pressure to the neck and shoulder area.

(@poppyfields)
Noble Member

This happens to me quite often too. One suggestion was that I was dehydrated after receiving a vigorous on-site massage (hate those chairs)

Topic starter
(@tallulah)
Estimable Member

Thanks everyone for your comments.

She was lying with her face on the couch, using those Sara's pillows (which everyone else has loved and said how comfortable they are!). It was just strange because it wasn't like it was her first time with me, but like Angelhouse says it may have also been because her neck was slightly out of alignment too!

I just got really worried thinking that I'd done something awful to her!! I've done loads of back massages, with people in different positions and it's my first time ever coming across anything like this before!!

Thanks again for the reassurance that it has happened to others too!!

🙂

(@anahata)
Noble Member

To expand on what I think Gussie is getting at:

If the client doesn't have there face in a face hole in the table or correctly positioned face cradle over the end of the table, then lying on the front extends the neck. It's worse if the neck is extended and rotated, but either will encroach the facet joints in the upper neck, which can stiffen and lock up in that position.
If they get inflammed, then can get local or any of a variety of head ache/pains or effect the sympathetic nerves to the eyes (amongst others). Symptoms that that could cause would include blurring of vision.

Andrew.

Mtbw
(@mtbw)
Estimable Member

Hiya,
Sorry not sure if I've posted this in the right topic area?

I wondered if anyone else has had this same experience? I was doing a back massage on oneof my clients yesterday and when she got up afterwards she said that one of her eyes was really blurry - she could see but it was just out of focus? She doesn't wear glasses or contact lenses.

She has never had this before after massages and I was really concerned about her. She left and then text me later to say that it had been annoying for a while but then went and she's absolutely fine! Thank goodness!

Does anyone have any ideas on what could have caused this?

thanks,

sxx

Depends on what type of massage it was and what area you massaged. There are many reasons including vascular .

Share: