Notifications
Clear all

op or give alternatives a go

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@dandan)

Hi i need some help deciding what to do, i have had back trouble for the last 8-10 years and being a landscape gardener thought this was fairly common, and i have been managing with it sometimes having to as self employed, seeing a Chiropactor, ibroprofen, and carrying on, recently turned to an Osteopath as much less aggressive about 2 years ago and had alot better success and told me i had probably Herniated a disc, i have been keeping active, doing the gym only light Cardio stuff, stretching, pilates, i had a painful episode around 6months ago and saw my Doctor as i couldnt control the pain, then given a MRI which showed up 2 Herniated discs, i think L5, S1
barely any fuild in both, the consultant and i decided i should probably go for Discemptomy as a fail safe, as the injections may not work.

I would like to know from you guys if this is a sensible choice as im 37, 2 children, my wife is no Florence Nightingale,no insurance, self employed, and i'm a terrible patient as always very active and it looks like the recovery could take up to 6 months, which would mean we would be out on the street.

Any Other Alternative Options?
that work i will try any thing, i'm thinking surgery should be last choice, after other avenues exhausted.

Thanks
Dan
🙂

1 Reply
(@keano16)
Estimable Member

Evidence based protocol is this:

Up to 4-5 months from the beginning of first symptoms patient needs to try conservative treatments (like nerve block, rest, physical therapy). If there is no significant result, surgery is indicated. Generally speaking!

Each patient is individual, and there are many various spine diseases. However, from personal experience with XXX patients, don't delay surgery if qualified surgeon indicated it. At the end, insist on minimal invasive surgery.

Share: