sciatica? , lower b...

Notifications
Clear all

sciatica? , lower back pain ?

tankertrev
Topic starter
(@tankertrev)

hiya people , not sure really what thread to put this in , am just seeking a little advice here, , im a massage therapist , and not long qualified, ( may 2013 ), slowly building my business up here, and there ., recently, I seem to be getting more and more male clients at my home, with sciatica/ lower back pain as they put it , now, this is where my inexperience comes in I guess, I don't want to turn these clients away when they ask if I can help them, I don't want to send them to a physio etc...., but at the same time I don't want to make their condition worse .
I have been looking at charts etc as to where the sciatic nerve flows from, what advice can you give me please, , gentle effleurage techniques on the lower back, same , either side of the sciatic nerve ?, pressurepoints ?,
As I say , if I start turning clients down, then I feel like im not going forward if you know what I mean .
all advice I would be well and truly grateful for , and thank in advance ,

trev

6 Replies
Jinx
 Jinx
(@jinx)
Reputable Member

Hi Trev

Someone with more recent experience might be along soon (I trained mid 90s and retired from massage 2 years ago) but I had several clients with sciatica. The sciatic nerve runs deep through the backside and you'll often find sciatica sufferers have incredibly tight glutes so releasing those muscles can help lots.

You need to work pretty deep. After warming up the area I would gradually increase pressure with forearms and even elbows until I was working really deeply and could get the muscles moving. If you do it gradually it isn't painful for the clients and they should feel the tension ebbing away but do ask for feedback in case they are uncomfortable.

Longer term I recommended stretches and yoga to stop the tension building up.

If you're not used to working the gluteals (some courses don't teach it these days) or feel uncomfortable working so deeply then maybe a Deep Tissue course might help.

Hope that helps

Reiki Pixie
(@reiki-pixie)
Noble Member

Well Trev, if clients are asking to be treated for lower back and sciatic type problems it's time to push the boat out and take your studies deeper πŸ˜‰

Most massage courses in the UK are really foundation courses in massage. By studying more advanced techniques you will be able to advance your career and give people what they need πŸ˜€

RP

tankertrev
Topic starter
(@tankertrev)

hi guys , thankyou so far for your replys ,as for the glutes etc , well ive no problems working on them, and ive no problems using my forearms either., elbows not so sure..
your right what you say though, the college I went to, showed me virtually no deep tissue techniques, now its not a case of google is your friend, more of you tube is your friend, be it right or wrong, there are some good technicians out there, and some of my deep tissue knowledge has come from there.. has for further development, well im back at college this week about to take my level 5 in sports, can only be for the good Id say.

derekgruender
(@derekgruender)
Prominent Member

hi guys , thankyou so far for your replys ,as for the glutes etc , well ive no problems working on them, and ive no problems using my forearms either., elbows not so sure..
your right what you say though, the college I went to, showed me virtually no deep tissue techniques, now its not a case of google is your friend, more of you tube is your friend, be it right or wrong, there are some good technicians out there, and some of my deep tissue knowledge has come from there.. has for further development, well im back at college this week about to take my level 5 in sports, can only be for the good Id say.

Don't disregard youtube. I was actually going to suggest it to you.

I've been working as a massage therapist for nearly 12 years and have done loads of courses and many hundreds of hours training. But I still find the occasional gem on youtube, and have learned a lot from them. There are some brilliant bodyworkers out there who are happy to put up some excellent videos of their work. Always worth a look, I think. And before the purists start shouting, I always practice a new-found technique on a friend or family member, rather than a paying client with a real problem πŸ™‚

Reiki Pixie
(@reiki-pixie)
Noble Member

Good luck for your level 5 πŸ™‚

Definitely some good massage stuff on YouTube. Have to admit I've nicked some ideas myself 😎

jikijoni
(@jikijoni)

Pilates Anytime

hi good looking your site nice posting thanks for sharing information i like this blog.

[url]Pilates Classes Online[/url]
[url]Pilates Exercises[/url]

Share: