NHS cyber attacked for money - ransomware

20 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Appalling what some people will do for money....
they must be psychopaths, i.e. no conscience/moral compass

19 Replies
amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Here is the full list of NHS places affected (scroll down)

amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Further info/developments....so no one hear cares???? Jeez!

Apparently there's evidence that the ransomware was spreading using a Microsoft flaw exposed in a recent leak of information from U.S. intelligence agencies and affected computers likely had not applied the Microsoft patch or were running old operating systems for which no patch was available - so the attack is seen as random and not targeted.

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

Further info/developments....so no one hear cares???? Jeez!

Apparently there's evidence that the ransomware was spreading using a Microsoft flaw exposed in a recent leak of information from U.S. intelligence agencies and affected computers likely had not applied the Microsoft patch or were running old operating systems for which no patch was available - so the attack is seen as random and not targeted.

Amy, it's not that I don't care - I think the whole situation where we are so vulnerable to attack in such ways is awful. But I didn't have anything sensible to add to what you had written.

I did write something last night, but it sounded trite and sanctimonious, so I deleted it!

amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

I was hoping for more concern with members generally here....after all NHS is about our health!

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

I haven't been on this site since the attack was known about until now. As an ex NHS worker I care VERY much about it. I have friends whose work was disrupted because they could not access their computers. It will undoubtedly make the NHS take cyber security seriously even though this attack was not targeted. I agree with Crowan. This shows how very vulnerable the world is to this sort of attack. Whether it's been done by one nation state (N Korea?????) or been done by a group of disaffected individuals out to show what they can do, to disrupt 'the establishment' we are all at risk.

amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

I have learnt further info on this subject. Apparently computers with Windows XP are particularly affected/infected since this is a known vulnerability system.

The NHS operates on old computers with old systems and may well not be properly patched. I hope they have HD back up files! Maybe not since they had to cancel operations and turn people away from appointments. Or, could it be that their computers are locked into this ghastly situation whereby they cannot use them at all!? It has been hailed as a major national incident.

The last time this kind of thing occurred was on a smaller scale but systems recovered within 3 days....not sure that this will be the case this time though.

amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Some good news (here in UK) re. the recent ransomware cyber hack. All but 6 of the NHS trusts have now been restored/working once again due to NCSC (National Cyber Security Centre)

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

I have learnt further info on this subject. Apparently computers with Windows XP are particularly affected/infected since this is a known vulnerability system.

The NHS operates on old computers with old systems and may well not be properly patched. I hope they have HD back up files! Maybe not since they had to cancel operations and turn people away from appointments. Or, could it be that their computers are locked into this ghastly situation whereby they cannot use them at all!? It has been hailed as a major national incident.

The last time this kind of thing occurred was on a smaller scale but systems recovered within 3 days....not sure that this will be the case this time though.

And the NHS stopped paying Microsoft to provide them with security updates for the out dated software......

amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

And the NHS stopped paying Microsoft to provide them with security updates for the out dated software......

Actually MS stopped making security patches for Windows XP but a new situation has now arisen

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

I've read so many comments on line saying more or less - how can big organisations still rely on XP, when it is no longer protected?
And I wonder where these commentators think the NHS is going to get the money to constantly update.
FedEx and the others might afford it, but not the NHS.

In many ways the constant updating of technology and the phasing out of support for old technology holds us all to ransom.

amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

I've read so many comments on line saying more or less - how can big organisations still rely on XP, when it is no longer protected?
And I wonder where these commentators think the NHS is going to get the money to constantly update.
FedEx and the others might afford it, but not the NHS.

In many ways the constant updating of technology and the phasing out of support for old technology holds us all to ransom.

You may well know that the 'new' computer overhaul system, designed to replace the old NHS one, got abandoned due to cost.

mac
(@mac)
Prominent Member

Maybe time to consider Linux?

amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Maybe time to consider Linux?

Maybe time to consider more seriously supporting the NHS financially....as everyone know, it's on its knees - in crisis; so many suffering needlessly because of the Government's decisions. Deplorable. Labour would reverse this.

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

You may well know that the 'new' computer overhaul system, designed to replace the old NHS one, got abandoned due to cost.

Goodness, yes. Thanks. I'd forgotten that.

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

Maybe time to consider more seriously supporting the NHS financially....as everyone know, it's on its knees - in crisis; so many suffering needlessly because of the Government's decisions. Deplorable. Labour would reverse this.

Fingers crossed!

mac
(@mac)
Prominent Member

I'd be more-than-prepared to pay more ring-fenced tax, whichever party were brave enough / foolhardy enough to try.

The computer systems are one part of the structure needing more resources but just about everything else is creaking and about to fall apart, staff exhausted, overstretched and underpaid. I hope someone has the guts to make the change.

(@scommstech)
Honorable Member

I'm not too sure that the NHS computer system was abandoned purely because of costs. What seems to happen is that these systems are rarely fully thought out before contracts are assigned. Consequently the contractor is then asked to tweak the system to accommodate unforeseen requirements that crop up once the program is implemented. This makes the software unstable and not very robust as it can't really match the original specification. Throwing money at bad software can't always fix it.
You tend to see this sort of thing in Government departments when so called self appointed experts blunder ahead without consulting with the actual users. The PFI program saw this thing escalate when the contractors made a fortune by charging for late modifications to the original specification.
As for Microsoft. This company licensed out its software to any one who wanted to use its core platform consequently most third party users software is so full of holes that it is relatively easy to get into.
Apple didn't licence its software out so any third party has to comply with apple's core platform making it a far more robust and reliable platform than Microsoft.

(@massagepeople)
Eminent Member

Hard to know who is responsible, there's so much finger pointing. The media also constantly blame Russia for various things without a shred of evidence, Putin and his regime is an easy target as he's a sort of pantomime villain type figure. I wouldn't trust any of them on either side to be honest

amy green
Topic starter
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Hard to know who is responsible, there's so much finger pointing. The media also constantly blame Russia for various things without a shred of evidence, Putin and his regime is an easy target as he's a sort of pantomime villain type figure. I wouldn't trust any of them on either side to be honest

Well clearly they are opportunists of the situation I outlined in my post # 3 above.

However, now more people know what to do, i.e. what not to click on and ensuring they have sufficient antiviral programmes AND back up on HD. I don't think it reaped the financial reward that they hoped for anyway.

Share: