Beauty Guild Accredited Courses

30 Posts
11 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter
(@rackyp83)
Eminent Member

Hi people

I'm looking at furthering my training to be able to offer more treatments to my clients. In particular I have been looking at doing a 3 dayer indian head massage through a beauty guild accredited course.
Then I'd like to do stone therapy massage, ear candling and possibly some sort of facial massage course.

Has anyone else been on a beauty guild accredited course? If so, how did you rate it.
I've checked insurance wise and I would be covered.

Courses are expensive to do so I need to keep costs down as much as possible, but at the same time I don't want to waste my time and money on rubbish courses. I have been on a 1 day indian head massage course quite a few years ago now but it was a bit naff to be honest.

I'm in the Barnsley/Wakefield/Huddersfield area so if anyone knows of anywhere local, let me know! 😀

Cheers guys x

29 Replies
maychang
(@maychang)
Reputable Member

The guild courses are recognised for most insurance companies.

Topic starter
(@rackyp83)
Eminent Member

Have you attended of the courses? What did you reckon to them?

maychang
(@maychang)
Reputable Member

any course approved by the Guild has been checked by them before its accepted for accreditation.
Each individual training school is responsible for their own standards, so can't comment on it as a whole.
I have attended many short courses approved by the Guild, each course has its own merits and some weren't so good but that was down to the trainer and the manual.

Catherina
(@catherina)

The Guild accredited the IHM Course I did with Gateway Workshops and it was a fab one day course. Insurable and Accredited by The Guild, BABTAC, Towergate etc.
The one day Beauty Facial Course was excellent as well.
Great manuals and Great Tutors

Energylz
(@energylz)

Old thread!

However, I'm surprised that anybody would consider going on a one day course and feeling that was appropriate to then get any insurance to then going practicing that on the public.

Reiki Pixie
(@reiki-pixie)
Noble Member

The Guild accredited the IHM Course I did with Gateway Workshops and it was a fab one day course. Insurable and Accredited by The Guild, BABTAC, Towergate etc.
The one day Beauty Facial Course was excellent as well.
Great manuals and Great Tutors

Yes this would seem good if you have only just got into therapies. When you do longer and more in depth training courses, you will suddenly realise how limiting one day courses can be.

For example, when I did IHM, I did a 50 hour training course (3 hours per week for 17 weeks) with case studies, a written exam and a practical exam. The probability that some one doing a course of this depth being able to provide a decent service over a one day workshop is extremely high.

Another typical one day course out there is Indonesian/Balinese massage with dippy accreditation. When I did Indonesian massage, it was a full 6 day long course (including the practical exam by an external examiner) and 20 case studies, and to get on the course you had to have a level 3 anatomy qualification plus a core therapy.

These one day courses are fine for skill development but they are in no way proper practitioner qualifications!

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

Balen's accepted my 2 day IHM course and gave me insurance

Reiki Pixie
(@reiki-pixie)
Noble Member

You can get insurance for any therapy if you are prepared pay the premium based on risk. The risk for IHM is going to be lower than say Chinese wet cupping techniques.

I would imagine in your case Sally being a pharmacist, therefore studying physiology, medicine etc and having a proper state recognised professional registration, suggests you are of low risk 😉

Tara Jewell
(@tara-jewell)

Hi people

I'm looking at furthering my training to be able to offer more treatments to my clients. In particular I have been looking at doing a 3 dayer indian head massage through a beauty guild accredited course.
Then I'd like to do stone therapy massage, ear candling and possibly some sort of facial massage course.

Has anyone else been on a beauty guild accredited course? If so, how did you rate it.
I've checked insurance wise and I would be covered.

Courses are expensive to do so I need to keep costs down as much as possible, but at the same time I don't want to waste my time and money on rubbish courses. I have been on a 1 day indian head massage course quite a few years ago now but it was a bit naff to be honest.

I'm in the Barnsley/Wakefield/Huddersfield area so if anyone knows of anywhere local, let me know! 😀

Cheers guys x

Tara Jewell
(@tara-jewell)

Hi,

We offer Indian Head massage course in the Huddersfield area at the Natural Therapy Studio. As we have a mobile tutor who can come to you for a 1-2-1 lesson.
You would need a model to work on, for the practical day.

It is a 2 days course
It is 1 day home study of reading the training manual, emailed prior to course date to print off and to complete a question sheet. This covers the course material and all techniques you will learn on the day. You would also get a FREE IHM course DVD in the post before the course. But ideal for re-caping after the course for the visual learner.
And day 2 is the practical day of learning the routine. As we offer 1-2-1 lesson and very small classes of 1-6 student. We can offer courses to suit around people busy lives today.

Our Massage/Therapy/Beauty courses are priced to be accessible and affordable for all. Everyone who has an interest in massage, beauty and therapy should be able to attend and learn about massage, beauty and therapy if they wish. We have combined home study with a day practical training to keep the cost down. Aimed more at the mature student not wishing to go back to traditional College with the younger students. Also for students who are very busy. We also have a FREE DVD offer on many massage courses. This is a reference DVD showing the massage routine that you will/have learnt on the course. Excellent for re-capping and a great visual aid for learners. Our classes are small no more than 6 students per class. Average is 2-3 students (we do offer 1-2-1 private classes also) Your case studies/practice is done as home in your own time after the course.

(@vikki15uk)

Be very careful of this company. My 16 month old daughter was rushed into hospital the night before my course with suspected meningitis. After tests she was diagnosed with Retrovirus which is highly contagious and placed on antibiotics, on the way home at 4am in the morning my 8yr old son took an asthma attack so ended back at hospital where he was nebulised. We got him with him after X-rays where he was given antibiotics and steroids. I contacted the tutor at 9am to explain what had happened and could my course be rescheduled to a different date. I was tots by the tutor she would see what she could do but contacted 15 minutes later saying she had spoke to Gateway Workshops and they had said no she couldn't reschedule due to 10 day cancellation policy yet Gateway terms and conditions state the tutor is responsible for all dealings with the course as they are only a booking agent. No compromise on behalf of the tutor or Gateway so if you book a course specifically in Falkirk and have exceptional circumstances this company will quite happily pocket your money. This is not sour grapes as I have done 2 previous courses with this company but be very careful.

(@bekki219)

I think all companies have the same terms regarding illness, whether of yourself or a family member. You have been happy with them for your previous training. You are obviously a caring mum and I hope your children get better soon

JoJo2504
(@jojo2504)
Noble Member

That's really not very fair to sign up just to slate a company, does sound like sour grapes to me!

But regardless of circumstances, it does state that it isn't refundable, I am sure Trading Standards state the same, there is a whole lot of stuff on this on their website (see below about cancelling on the day). You must have ticked the terms and conditions, did you read it ? I know a lot of people don't but you really should.

4. If you do not turn up on the day or you cancel your attendance on the course day and/or have given no written notice that you will not be attending the course, then the full course fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.

Be very careful of this company. My 16 month old daughter was rushed into hospital the night before my course with suspected meningitis. After tests she was diagnosed with Retrovirus which is highly contagious and placed on antibiotics, on the way home at 4am in the morning my 8yr old son took an asthma attack so ended back at hospital where he was nebulised. We got him with him after X-rays where he was given antibiotics and steroids. I contacted the tutor at 9am to explain what had happened and could my course be rescheduled to a different date. I was tots by the tutor she would see what she could do but contacted 15 minutes later saying she had spoke to Gateway Workshops and they had said no she couldn't reschedule due to 10 day cancellation policy yet Gateway terms and conditions state the tutor is responsible for all dealings with the course as they are only a booking agent. No compromise on behalf of the tutor or Gateway so if you book a course specifically in Falkirk and have exceptional circumstances this company will quite happily pocket your money. This is not sour grapes as I have done 2 previous courses with this company but be very careful.

(@vikki15uk)

it's not about slating the company. I have done 2 previous courses with this company and regardless of terms and conditions, every company has discretion on there side. I had exceptional circumstances, it wasn't a matter of just not turning up. I also had every intention of doing further courses with them so in my opinion under the exceptional circumstances and the fact I was an ongoing pupil having did previous courses a goodwill gesture would have went a long way to keeping my good opinion about the company. The tutor should never have told me she would see what she could. do knowing she was going to come back quoting terms and conditions.

JoJo2504
(@jojo2504)
Noble Member

I have trained with Gateway a few times and they are amazing, I've also trained with other massage and beauty companies who also have the same terms and conditions. It's not about having the expectation of them having to do anything and often it's in the way you ask I'm sure companies who be in chaos if they didn't stick to the rules as some people don't tell the truth, so even though you had a horrible situation there cannot be one rule for one and something different for you that wouldn't be fair on anyone else and if you didn't agree with their terms you didn't have to book with them! I know for me they excel in what they do and are amazing, they work in the same way as other schools but I'm guessing if you had an unrealistic expectation that wasn't met you will then go on a public forum and slate a company, some forums like Salon Geek won't allow that as they know companies get slated for things that really are just trading laws, it's come to something when people need to post negative things about a wonderful company because clearly they are used to getting their own way! You only have to see all the good feedback on this forum and Salon Geek to know how good Gateway are at their training!!

JoJo2504
(@jojo2504)
Noble Member

Salon Geek barred the same post for its negativity and it's a shame some forums seem to be a platform to be negative and be allowed to damage company reputations, if however you look at the other forums there's plenty of people who have actually attended many courses with Gateway who sing their praises and are not the usual haters!

(@vikki15uk)

And you are obviously a tutor with this company. I had 2 enjoyable courses with this company and I have agreed all companies have to have terms and conditions. If it was myself who went down with a cold then fair enough but under exceptional circumstances which are impossible to predict then a bit of come and go with the company. If the tutor falls I'll or misses her train or can't make it your course is rescheduled or refunded. I am entitled like anyone else to review a company and on this occasion warn people of this crowds terms and conditions that if there house burns down then tough. Be careful of the unrealistic 10 day policy where other companies are more realistic with there terms being 48 hours and are also realistic to exceptional circumstances happening.

JoJo2504
(@jojo2504)
Noble Member

No I am not a tutor, you can check, and why are you saying about houses burning down, in light of whats happened recently in London that's a pretty awful thing to say, I am shocked!!

Gateway have won the Guild bests training company for the last 3 years for a reason as it's voted by the students for their courses and customer training. They also train all of Bobbi Browns UK staff, Channel 4 make up artists for Hollyoaks and all the big salons and hotels and if a days course is not enough you can come back free of charge to do it again who else offers that! At their loss too as they stand by wanting students to be happy when they could be taking paying students but offer that place to a returning student for free! I know many people who have trained with Gateway and been delighted I won't hesitate to go back!

(@vikki15uk)

No I am not a tutor, you can check, and why are you saying about houses burning down, in light of whats happened recently in London that's a pretty awful thing to say, I am shocked!!

Gateway have won the Guild bests training company for the last 3 years for a reason as it's voted by the students for their courses and customer training. They also train all of Bobbi Browns UK staff, Channel 4 make up artists for Hollyoaks and all the big salons and hotels and if a days course is not enough you can come back free of charge to do it again who else offers that! At their loss too as they stand by wanting students to be happy when they could be taking paying students but offer that place to a returning student for free! I know many people who have trained with Gateway and been delighted I won't hesitate to go back!

JoJo2504
(@jojo2504)
Noble Member

Why don't you go sing your praises somewhere else, gateway workshops must be paying you well to not believe that a company never receives negative feedback, get a grip!! This tutor messed up in a telephone conversation with myself when she told me if it was up to her she would have rescheduled, read there terms and condition that you like to quote, Gateway Network are solely a booking agent and the tutor is wholly responsible. I did praise them in that I enjoyed 2 courses with them but in future will go back to the Beauty School!!

Don't message me with your grievances, I am not stupid I know that they have received negative reviews, I can read, stop comparing your Childs cold to the Grenfell Towers fire, and signing up as I said to slag off a company, awful person you are, if you are indeed Vikki !

(@vikki15uk)

I never said anything about there courses as I have been on 2 courses this would have been my third. My issue is the unrealistic expectation they have that exceptional circumstances sometimes do happen and it's sometimes nice for a company with such a reputation to say "no what, this was exceptional and you are a returning customer 2 times over so no what we will use our customer service skills to accept that face and reschedule, they lose nothing by doing it.

(@vikki15uk)

Why don't you go sing your praises somewhere else, gateway workshops must be paying you well to not believe that a company never receives negative feedback, get a grip!! This tutor messed up in a telephone conversation with myself when she told me if it was up to her she would have rescheduled, read there terms and condition that you like to quote, Gateway Network are solely a booking agent and the tutor is wholly responsible. I did praise them in that I enjoyed 2 courses with them but in future will go back to the Beauty School!!

Don't message me with your grievances, I am not stupid I know that they have received negative reviews, I can read, stop comparing your Childs cold to the Grenfell Towers fire, and signing up as I said to slag off a company, awful person you are, if you are indeed Vikki !

Child's cold!!! Who the hell do you think you are!!! Now your a doctor as well as a tutor for Gateway, go away you stupid woman or should I say Doctor!!

JoJo2504
(@jojo2504)
Noble Member

Lol show me where I am on this listing, do you see me ? No thought not !

JoJo2504
(@jojo2504)
Noble Member

My final thought is, I'm sure Gateway have offered refunds and transfers to those deserving and who ask without bullying tactics which a lot of people resort to when they don't get their own way as those type of people end up on forums spreading their negativity. If they were such a terrible company they would not win awards voted by students year after year and wouldn't have loyal students like me fighting their corner! We know how wonderful they are and how hard they work so people being negative won't bring them down. They wouldn't have lasted nearly 20 years if they were so terrible! They work in the same way as other schools with their terms and conditions so clearly you didn't bother to read their information on this when you booked!

Energylz
(@energylz)

Moderator Note

Both of you stop right there. Any further remarks about each other and I'll remove all the inappropriate posts.

Vikki was perfectly entitled to share her experience and that should not be taken as an attack on the company, nor should it warrant name calling from either of you.

If someone has had a bad experience with a company then they have every right to share that experience, just as people can also share their positive experiences. Personal attacks posted on this community will NOT be tolerated.

(@catherina-holder)

I agree with Jo,
I've done several courses with Gateway and they are wonderful and the Tutors are wonderful.
I do think negative posts are very damaging, especially for such a wonderful company as I think they al do such a great job.
I would never have any expectations that if I had to cancel for any reason if I was ill or any of my children they would automatically refund me or allow me to attend on a different date.
Why should anyone have special treatment, a business has to run in a fair way to all so why should anyone have different treatment over someone else?
They trade the same way as many other professional schools and if you don't turn up you simply loose your place. Seems fair enough to me.

(@vikki15uk)

Just a small update on my issue with Gateway Network, Sue Bailey (director of Gateway Network) emailed me today to state she had been contacted by a certain member on here who screen captured MY side of the conversation and sent it to her. It seems that Sue Bailey does not like honest reviews of her company on any forum.
I said that if she was willing to look again at the situation as a goodwill gesture then I would obviously be prepared to modify my post to show that the company do have a heart to have that shot down in flames and threatened with her lawyer! Funny how some people construe a written conversation when they think it favours there side. The long and short of it, and my last peace on this company is beware of there terms and conditions where it states ((Once you have made your booking through Gateway Workshops ™ (who acts as a booking agent and handles the course admin questions for all tutors) your details are then forwarded onto the tutor. Gateway Workshops ™ as the booking agent have then completed their service to you for this course, the tutor then takes full responsibility with regard to your future contact and full course content and administration, once you have booked and paid your deposit payment. Once booked if you have any questions about the course you have booked please make sure you contact the tutor rather than Gateway Workshops ™. Gateway provides a booking service only and it is not their job to take responsibility for the student once the deposit has been processed, it is that of the tutors.)) This is absolute nonsense as they are under the control of Sue Bailey. Also note in faq:
Do you offer ILA Scottish funding for your courses or a private 24 hour loan?
No sorry we do not as they were not taking on any new training centres when we approached them
This company have supposedly been in business for nearly 20 years! I wonder why they are NOT ILA funded. People be advised and shop around, go to ILA website and search there courses. Forewarned is forearmed so to speak.

(@vikki15uk)

I'm looking to see if there is admin that can help me get these reviews removed they were added by my dad not by myself and i wish to have these removed I have sent emails to healthy pages which I've never had a reply to attall my dad has gave me the username and password so I can try and remove these as he didn't know how to and I can't find anywhere that gives me the opinion to delete any help would be very much appreciated 

(@vikki15uk)

Honest review from me  victoria anderson  the above reviews were not posted by myself,

I have done 2 courses with gateway both of which I loved very friendly professional and so relaxed I done Lash lift and tint and warm waxing courses both of which I left feeling very educated and knowledgeable I'd recommend anyone to turn to gateway they have something for everyone and theyre very professional and there courses and staff are amazing  highly recommended. 

Victoria Anderson 

Share: