Muscles used in eve...

Notifications
Clear all

Muscles used in every day activities

Sea of Tranquillity
Topic starter
(@sea-of-tranquillity)

Some of the questions that ITEC seem to keep using these days are about muscles used in every day activities.

Unfortunately, I was not able to find these out before my exam but I have since found out the answers to some of the common ones that ITEC have asked recently and I have listed there basic functional movements here;

Painting a ceiling - Trapezius

Carrying a heavy bag - Levator Scapulae

Pulling something towards you ( like a drawer) - Rhomboids (Major & Minor)

Holding shopping bag away from side of body - Supraspinatus

Brushing back of hair - Infraspinatus & Teres Minor

Turning a doorknob - pronator teres

Rising from sitting/walking upstairs - Gluteus Maximus

Raising head from pillow - Sternocleidomastoid

Initiating getting out of a low chair - rectus abdominus

Raising the arm to wave -deltoid

I hope that someone out there finds these usefull! 😉

Tranquillity

6 Replies
Evie2005
(@evie2005)

RE: Muscles used in every day activities

Thanks for writing those up - ITEC do appear to like those questions. Please could you just comfirm one thing I am unsure of... The muscle used to paint a ceiling? Is Trapezius the accepted ITEC answer? My tutor told us it was the Levator Scapulae but I don't think even he was too sure which answer ITEC would want. I have seen different answers to this question with 50% marking Trapezius as the right answer and the other half going for Levator Scapulae... I think it is quite a silly question as there are many muscles you would use but as ITEC like them I had better learn them.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write them up..

You're a Star!!

Evie x

AngelFish
(@angelfish)
Honorable Member

I agree with Evie. ITEC should be issuing tutors with the correct answers for these type of questions, because we all know that there is always more than one muscle involved and the answer is dependent on the stage of the movement.

freddie
(@freddie)
Estimable Member

Thanks Tranquillity. I find these ITEC questions hard because as everyone says, a lot of these activities don't just use one muscle. If you really sit down and think the qustion through and try to use your brain, you can get confused. It seems you have to go for the answer which is 'more correct' than any of the others.
Freddie:eek:

Sea of Tranquillity
Topic starter
(@sea-of-tranquillity)

Hi Evie 2005, I do not know if these are the accepted answers for ITEC but the book that I got the information from is one of those listed on the ITEC reading list.

I too think that the questions are somewhat confusing as I would expect that you would be using several muscles at any one time to do any particular activity.

I can see why they have started asking these questions as the person on the street is not likely to come to see you for a massage and say my levator scapulae is hurting. They are much more likely to say it hurts when I carry a heavy bag!

Anyway there is only likely to be a couple of, if any, questions like this in your exam. The two in mine were the painting a ceiling one and rising from sitting down. I just had to guess them!

Tranquillity

Evie2005
(@evie2005)

Thanks Tranquility...

I think I have almost got them now.. I am actually, stangely enough, a lot calmer now about my exam than I was last night.. Only two days to go then it will be over.. I am still weak on muscles but I am sure you are right in that there will only be a few on muscles so not worrying too much as I am sure worry is not a good study aid!!

Loads of thanks again..

Evie x x

ps loads of luck to those of us that are about to sit our exams xx

Sea of Tranquillity
Topic starter
(@sea-of-tranquillity)

Hi again Evie2005, at this late stage the best thing that I found when I did my A&P in April was to do as many past papers as I could find on this site, as the same questions seem to keep coming up again and again.

Try this site aswell if you have not already done so - - as it has 4 tests that you can try out online. I kept doing them again and again until I had a good score.

Tranquillity

Share: