Worried about Eliza - seems withdrawn & distant

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@naivetys-star)
Honorable Member

Hello everyone,

Sorry I've not been around, I've been so busy but do dip into HP to see how everyone is.

I need some advice/ reassurance please.

I'm so worried about Eliza. [sm=cat.gif]

You might remember her from earlier this year as she almost died when two dogs attacked her

Well, she is truly amazing and has been running around all summer, chasing me up and down the stairs, waking me up my a gentle slap in the face in the morning, sleeping on my tummy at night, chirping every time I go past her, racing Laurence (her son) and me to the bathroom to get to the taps first etc etc. She had been a bright spark of loving energy and a true miracle after her ordeal.

Yesterday, she seemed to lose her spark. She slept on my desk by the pc while I worked, but she hardly lifted her head of rolled around in her basket for cuddles like she always does. She hardly wanted to go out. She didn't chirp or call me to her as she does when she thinks I'm not paying her enough attention, she didn't squeeze onto my lap while I worked and try to block my view of the pc screen.....

I felt in my heart that she was feeling down, like when you feel poorly. She is eating, she was even playing again last night, but there still seems to be something missing. Her fur is still super shiny, she doesn't have any eye or nasal discharge. I had wondered if she might be bunged up at the other end, but she always goes to the loo outside and I really don't know how things are in that department. But that could be making her feel lousy...

Am I being over concerned? Please say if you think I am.

My main worry is that Willow ( [link= http://www.healthypages.net/forum/tm.asp?m=279771&mpage=1%F1%8B%A8%95 ]http://www.healthypages.net/forum/tm.asp?m=279771&mpage=1[/link] ) died on 21 November last year and things may have been able to have been done to save her if I spotted the signs earlier.

I guess a trip to the vet may ease my mind, but they'll probably say monitor how she is as the mood shift only happened yesterday.

I am so worried that I'll lose her after all we've been through this year. But I also know that I am over reacting and poor Eliza is probably picking up on my stress too which isn't helping her.

Any advice for Eliza or me would be gratefully received,

Love Nicky
x

13 Replies
sunanda
(@sunanda)
Illustrious Member

RE: Worried about Eliza - seems withdrawn & distant

Aw Nicky. I don't have any advice I can give you but just wanted to say hello and I hope everything will turn out well with Eliza. Keep us posted.

With lots of love
Sunanda xxx

Topic starter
(@naivetys-star)
Honorable Member

Hi Sunanda:)

Thank you for your reply. It is really good to hear form you.

I've just started working from home for my husband's company and wondered if Eliza has maybe got all affectioned-out as the novelty of me being at home has worn off?

There's been such a marked change in her though, it does make me worried. We're going to take her to the vets tomorrow as they can take her temperature and see if she has any infections maybe...?

I need to stop worrying as I have work to do and little Eliza is trying to sleep at the mo as cats do during the day, and I keep bothering her to see if she's OK, which results in her giving me such a look!

Love Nicky
x

sunanda
(@sunanda)
Illustrious Member

Hi again Nicky

It's good to hear from you too, even in worrying circumstances. Taking Eliza to the vet is the obvious thing to do; maybe it's just a minor thing but at least you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you got it checked out. (Isn't it amazing how often this sort of thing happens at the weekend and we have to wait before we can take action?) Maybe it's just a 24 hour thing and by tomorrow she'll be fine. Let's hope so.

with love
Sunanda xxx

lyn
(@lyn)
Prominent Member

If you have a gut feeling something just isn't quite right then act upon it,even if a vet can't find anything physically wrong you will know at least that you have had her looked at.Then keep an eye on everything she does, generally though as her coat is good, she's eating and drinking and having a little play time then she's ok, it may be that she's cottoned on to the time of year (fireworks) also it's run down time and food build up for winter, so she is going to quieten down and sleep more to contain her energy etc, she's not wild but it doesn't stop those instincts kicking in.

(@guinevere)
Famed Member

Hi Nicky-just to say I'm sorry you're having this worrying time with Eliza and I feel you're doing the right thing taking her to see the vet. I really hope all will be well with her.

Love, light and blessings,
Guin x

Topic starter
(@naivetys-star)
Honorable Member

Thank you lyn and Guin:)

I guess I needed to "speak" to HP as I know you'd understand. Hubby has noticed Eliza is subdued, but he's more inclined to not worry about it, whereas I need to be sure. Over the last months Eliza and I are so close (poor hubby doesn't get a look in sometimes as all Eliza usually wants is me and my lap), so it's very obvious when she isn't on top form.

One thing I have noticed is that Laurence her son, who is quote big now, likes to "play fight" with her and although she lets him know in no uncertain terms when he's overstepped the mark, maybe she's fed up at being pounced on so much. I don't think she is hurt as she lets me have a good prod with no yelping indicating injury.

I can remember as a child, (an no offence meant :)) I can remember being tired out and fed up when my little sister she wanted to play all the time. There is only 6 months between Laurence and Eliza and maybe they working out issues like cats in a household do. They cuddle up together, eat together, groom each other and chase each other around bouncing off the furniture like most siblings (cats and human!) that I know.

She is eating well, and has been playing with Laurence in the garden all afternoon, she just has some va va voom missing.

Off to the vet, yes, trusting my instinct.

Thanks angels 🙂

Love Nicky
x

PS
When I get some time, I'll post current photos of them as Laurence has grown into quite the dashing cat about town and Eliza is truly a beautiful lady 😀

Twinklestar
(@twinklestar)
Noble Member

Hi Nicky,

I agree with the others - if feel feel something isn't right then its is best to get it checked out. Keep an eye on what she eats today too as the vet is bound to ask - bet you were already doing that:)

Sending Eliza love hugs and well wishes,

Love Jo xxx

Topic starter
(@naivetys-star)
Honorable Member

Hi Jo,

Funny you say that about food, she just came in from the garden meowing at me, sat on my lap for wriggly kissy cuddles (me not her doing the wriggling and kissing) and went to the pet food cupboard which is what they both do when they want crunchies!

We’ll probably take her to the vet tomorrow anyway, whether she improves totally or not as they need to see her to check her progress since the dog incident.

Love Nicky
x

Topic starter
(@naivetys-star)
Honorable Member

Been to vet - Eliza on top form!

OK, guess who's been racing me up the stairs and is now sitting on my lap as I type, all curled up and purring as usual!?!?
😀 [sm=cat.gif] 😀

We took both cats to the vet this morning as they both needed a check up.

Eliza astonished the vet as I'm sure he wasn't expecting her to be able to walk properly after her injuries earlier this year. They had stressed to us in the past that she may limp, not have full movement etc but as soon as she was on the floor at the vet's today she ran towards me perfectly well!

She had her temperature taken, which didn't particularly inspire warm feelings towards the vet, but happily the vet says she is absolutely fine and if she did have any nasties then they're gone now.

Laurence is a fine figure of a cat now and super healthy with a glossy coat and although I was worried he was getting too heavy, even though he is a sleek cat machine (Eliza weighs nothing in comparison) he is fine.

I'm so pleased we took them today. The receptionist at the vets didn't even need my name as she remembered Eliza from March and was so exited to be seeing her again.

Right, I'm off to do some work. Now my mind is put at ease I hope I can concentrate now. I just had to log in and tell you 🙂

LOTS of LOVE

Nicky, Eliza and Laurence
X x x

lyn
(@lyn)
Prominent Member

RE: Been to vet - Eliza on top form!

Thank you for the update,it is lovely to hear she is ok. More than likely just tired from trying to keep that youngun in check ! Lyn

(@rosyangel)
Eminent Member

Hi Nicky! having read your posts, just wanted to say I'm so glad Eliza's back on top form, what a relief for you. And at least you're mind is at peace knowing you did the right thing with a visit to the vet. I'm taking my dog, Jazz, this afternoon, so I'll be the bad one in her eyes!! She's limping terribly when she gets up from sitting or lying down, but it eases off as she moves about. Hopefully it'llpass and she'll be fine. Anyway, not been on HP very much at all, and not had the confidence to post - so here's to our lovely pets, they give us such love and inspiration.

love and hugs, Lynne 🙂

Topic starter
(@naivetys-star)
Honorable Member

Hello RosyAngel:)

Thinking of Jazz, and you so you're not too much in the doghouse (groan) and sending you both loving reiki if that's OK 🙂

Anyway, not been on HP very much at all, and not had the confidence to post - so here's to our lovely pets, they give us such love and inspiration.

Here here [sm=food-smiley-004.gif]

And believe me, if you needed confidence to post HP would be empty! You are among welcoming friendly people here who want to know what you want to say because they care and have informed responses. So I look forward to reading lots more from you 😀

I haven't been on HP for ages as I've been super busy and, again, I am avoiding working buy accident and tomorrow's deadline is fast approaching and I have so much yet to do....

Let me know how Jazz/ you get on angel 🙂

Lots of Love

Nicky
x

(@rosyangel)
Eminent Member

Morning Nicky! Thank you for your kind words and advice! I'll get posting!

Well, yes, I am in the "doghouse" unfortunately as our vet's given Jazz anti-inflammatory stuff to put in her food, which she's not amused about, and alsothe instructions of walks on her lead only, no playing with her friends and resting as much as possible - poor thing's not amused! But hopefully she'll behave and be back to normal next week. I was doing some reiki on her last night too and she just laps it up!

Hope Eliza's okay too.

Love and hugs, lynne :)xx

Share: