Can you set up a bu...

Notifications
Clear all

Can you set up a business using BSY courses?

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@drahe1)

Having no previous experience, is it possible to use the BSY qualifications to start a complimentary health business? Has anyone attempted this and how did you get on?

9 Replies
atlanticpearl
(@atlanticpearl)
Noble Member

Having no previous experience, is it possible to use the BSY qualifications to start a complimentary health business? Has anyone attempted this and how did you get on?

Hi, from your question I am unclear as to whether you have no previous experience of holistic therapies or no previous experience of setting up a business.

Assuming its that you have no previous experience of holistic therapies. I personally wouldnt go to a person/company whose people held such qualifications. For me for example I would expect the HT to hold qualfiications and also to have a lot of hands on experience before being let loose on the public. I would also expect them to hold and A & P qualfication as well, public liability insurance, etc etc.

I am sure you will get other respones, but if you are serious about setting up a "CHB" then I would suggest much research and training.

Bannick
(@bannick)
Famed Member

Hi Drahe,

Although I have a feeling that I know how this thread will develop, I do have to ask........... what therapy(ies) in particular are you considering going into business with?

PS: It's Complementary Health, unless of course you intend doing it for free!:D

Reiki Pixie
(@reiki-pixie)
Noble Member

Hi D1

Welcome to Hp.

You must troll through previous threads on Hp about BSY and other distant learning providers. It doesn't paint a pretty picture. BSY is known as a "diploma mill" pumping out so-called qualifications that don't have any teeth.

Save your money and go to a local college or private school that teaches hands-on work. You can study with the BSY, but as you will find out that you can learn more out of a textbook, and that these qualifications are not recognised by the Complementary Therapy industry. Many of the main professional associations that work with goverment bodies and National Occupational Standards do not recognise them and will not insure their quals. You will find one or two insurance companies to insure a BSY qual, but you will have to pay a much larger premium.

Don't be fooled by easy payment schemes, it sounds a wonderful way to study, but if you look carefully many of these courses are not complete and you have to keep doing more and more to have depth of knowledge. Before you know it you could spent over a £1000 😮 and have very little to show for it.

Many people do such courses only to find that they haven't got the skills to develop a successful practice. Think of it this way: it's hard to develop a therapy business with a FE college diploma or even a HE therapy degree, let alone a distant learning course with 1 day hands-on training.

On a positive note, many DL students realise the limitations of such training and end up at taking their studies further at FE college/adult ed centres. So can be seen as a stepping stone into holistic therapies.

Best wishes

RP

(@the-beagle)
Estimable Member

i would suggest you look for local courses in the field you want to practice in, not only will you gain valuable hands on experience who will also benefit from you the knowledge of the course providers and build good network contacts from the other students on the course.

do a little research and you will find plenty of courses in your area, its the best path.

doing it the so called easy wall (distance learning) will only make your life harder when you try and start a business or try and get work.

dont be afraid to deep your toe into the world on night school/weekend courses/FE/HE your will enjoy it more.

good luck

Therapist1960uk
(@therapist1960uk)
Reputable Member

Hi Drahe, I agree with RP and The Beagle, some good points have been made here, have a chat to other therapists in your area and ask where they trained, i get asked sometimes, and i am more than willing to have a chat with them and point them in the right direction.
Hope this helps.

Angelic Light
(@angelic-light)
Reputable Member

If you want to work in a salon/spa, with the NHS/Government or use the courses to get into further education at college they are not usually recognised or accepted. However, you can usually use the practitioner level ones to set up your own private business as long as you get insurance first.

(@lindaannh)
Noble Member

Hi drahe1 i have done quite a few online courses in different therapies but i have only done them as personal/self development and did not set up a business. In my experience/opinion i dont think they would really prepare you for working confidently with the paying public and you might struggle to get insurance. I have done others with recognised colleges where there was hands on experience and i think they were by far much better. I dont have direct experience with the company you mention but did mine with another one who is also mention here quite often. I loved the on line courses and love practicing on my friends and family but i do think that online courses can really only be theoretical and if not undertaken as a hobby or leisure may actually not be worth the money.
Again this is only my opinion others may disagree. I would agree with angelic Light and view them as a stepping stone.
Love and Light
Linda

(@lillz)

I have done a few courses with BSY and have started my own Massage business. After qualifying you would need to get indemnity insurance first but it is certainly possible. I met another lady on the practical training day who had her own practice thanks to her BSY courses. I would recommend them, full of info and practical training days where necessary. A flexible way of doing it I think, and some of the courses carry university credits.

Mtbw
(@mtbw)
Estimable Member

I have done a few courses with BSY and have started my own Massage business. After qualifying you would need to get indemnity insurance first but it is certainly possible. I met another lady on the practical training day who had her own practice thanks to her BSY courses. I would recommend them, full of info and practical training days where necessary. A flexible way of doing it I think, and some of the courses carry university credits.

OMG!!!!! Our industry definitely need reconsideration and all therapists must resit normal practical and theory incl pathology and anatomy and related medical theories...
This is real shame that business with one day training can exists....
From other point of view - this increases my job and my quality level incl my therapies fit my patients

Share: