Notifications
Clear all

Advice re: Best course to take.

Donna3939
Topic starter
(@donna3939)
Estimable Member

Hello everyone!

I feel like I'm being drawn towards holistic therapies as a occupational path. I'm am, however, confused as to the best way to start out.

I have seen a few part-time courses (it has to be part-time as I have a full-time job and a daughter to look after) but they all seem to be gravitating more towards the beauty side of therapy. I know beauty and holistic therapy tend to go hand in hand however I'm swaying more towards the holistic side of things.

I'm Reiki level 1, looking to do my 2 in the near future, and I'm also taking different workshops about EFT, crystal healing, Hopi Ear Candling but wish to find a proper course which would give me full qualifications and allow me to practise professionally. There doesn't seem to be anything specifically aimed towards the holistic side of things so could do with your advice.

I would like to point out that I have no previous knowledge of college etc. I left school after my GSCEs and have worked at the same place since then (12 years).

Are there any courses in the following college/training websites which would allow me to gain the correct qualification:

[DLMURL] http://www.gateshead.ac.uk/filtermodespec.asp?id=22&mode=3&sid=111[/DLMURL]

(on page 5 of 12)

And, not a college but provides qualifications all the same:

Also, if you could give me a hint as to the *kind* of course I should be looking for (a specific training body) then I'd be most grateful. I see VTCT a lot, is this one?

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this and if you feel you can answer any of my questions then I'd be very grateful. I know it sounds like I'm feeling around in the dark for something but I don't know how to explain it, its like my life is gravitating towards this as a career change. 🙂

x

7 Replies
Reiki Pixie
(@reiki-pixie)
Noble Member

Hi Donna

Probably the best start in a career in holistic/complementary therapies is studying Level 3 modules in Anatomy, Physiology & Massage (VTCT/ITEC/BTEC etc). Consider this as a good foundation which can open other doors to other therapies and will help to consolidate what you have already have done.

Best Wishes

RP

activehealing
(@activehealing)
Honorable Member

Hi Donna, I am doing a City and Guilds course in complementary therapies at my local college. This does not include any beauty but does include massage, aromatherapy, reflexology, anatomy and reflexology and also a module on nutrition. I am really enjoying it so far. I have previously done VTCT courses too and also found those to be very good. Good luck in finding one.

Donna.

massagemagic
(@massagemagic)

Best Path

Hi Donna, I would go down the ITEC route as this qualification is recognised worldwide. You can actually do a complementary therapy course which includes Holistic massage, Aromatherapy, Reflexology, Anatomy & Physiology, Health & safety, nutrition and business studies. This would require a hell of a lot of case studies and as you have a daughter it might be too much to do in a year, but you can spread the modules out over a couple of years. A&P is essential and holistic massage is a great foundation to start with. You can visit to see the course requirements/ assignments that you will have to do and also the schools/colleges local to you who offer the courses. Hope this is helpful!

Reiki Pixie
(@reiki-pixie)
Noble Member

Hi MM

Sorry to have to say this but ITEC isn't a ticket to the world. Most UK qualifications including ITEC are recognised in certain countries, but each country has its own criteria. Some countries don't need any qualifications at all, some you may have to do an external board exam, and in some others you will be arrested for practising medicine without a license!!! So all this ITEC stuff is just marketing. Don't believe the hype!

Best Wishes

RP

Mysticangel
(@mysticangel)
Noble Member

Hi Donna

I havent done any courses/training with Guru Holistics but I have been a model for the trainees there. I believe the courses are accredited, I think you can get funding also with Business LInk also.

If you go down the non-college route I would recommend Guru, having been a model for the trainees and have had wonderful treatments there too.

Kind regards
xx

Donna3939
Topic starter
(@donna3939)
Estimable Member

Hi Donna

I havent done any courses/training with Guru Holistics but I have been a model for the trainees there. I believe the courses are accredited, I think you can get funding also with Business LInk also.

If you go down the non-college route I would recommend Guru, having been a model for the trainees and have had wonderful treatments there too.

Kind regards
xx

Thank you, I noticed that the courses are accredited by The Guild of Holistic Therapists but don't know anything about this. Does anyone know is this runs along the same lines as a BTEC / VTCT etc? x

Reiki Pixie
(@reiki-pixie)
Noble Member

Hi Donna

Since you said I your OP "drawn towards holistic therapies as a occupational path", then the best direction to take a course that complies with National Occupational Standards, which VTCT and ITEC do, and as far as I can see Guild courses don't. But courses are generally as good as the effort the tutor (as well as the student) puts in. So a good balance would be a VTCT or ITEC accredited school/college with teaching staff that have a good reputation.

Best Wishes

RP

Share: