Clear all

Advice for someone new to Shamanism, please

13 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@sharri1036)

Hello there,

I am hoping for some advice, please. I am new to Shamanism. Having followed a Pagan path for many years, I have always been interested but have never done anything to further that interest. However, I recently have received Shamanic Healing after a traumatic event in my life. Anyway, it worked, no doubt of that and afterwards I was told I have natural healing and seer abilities and to work on developing these. I was told something similar several years previous but had never done anything until now. I guess the time was never right before.

So, I do intend to do a year long shamanic healing course but not before I have explored shamanism for myself. So, I've journeyed a few times, have met my guardian animal in the underworld and also my teacher in the upperworld. I've been reading loads, trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible. I've never read so much as I have recently!

Now, these may sound like silly questions but I have been working my way through "Singing the Soul Back Home" by Caitlin Matthews. This has been written from the perspective of someone who has never journeyed and it takes you through, step by step. In the section I've reached I've been told to journey to the middleworld which I have yet to do, to meet my guardian animal. I don't feel I need to do this as I have already done this, but I met him in the underworld. I don't think that there should be another guardian animal in the middleworld, should there? The texts I had read previously said you meet your guardian animal in the lower world and your teacher in the upperworld. However, this book is telling me to journey to the middleworld to find a middleworld teacher. Is this a different teacher to the one I have met in the upper world or this is just a different approach to meeting guardians and teachers? I don't want to go off looking for new connections when I have already made them. I wish to develop the connections I have made further but I am trying to work my way through this book and learn. I've just become a little confused at this point!

Apologies if these are stupid questions but I am quite new to shamanism and can completely confess my inexperience. I know that I am at the start of my journey - and what an exciting one it is. It would be great to get some advice from those of you who have much more experience.

Thank you.

12 Replies
Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

Hello there,

I am hoping for some advice, please. I am new to Shamanism. Having followed a Pagan path for many years, I have always been interested but have never done anything to further that interest. However, I recently have received Shamanic Healing after a traumatic event in my life. Anyway, it worked, no doubt of that and afterwards I was told I have natural healing and seer abilities and to work on developing these. I was told something similar several years previous but had never done anything until now. I guess the time was never right before.
So, I do intend to do a year long shamanic healing course but not before I have explored shamanism for myself. So, I've journeyed a few times, have met my guardian animal in the underworld and also my teacher in the upperworld. I've been reading loads, trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible. I've never read so much as I have recently!

I would suggest not doing this yet. Shamanic healing is advanced work. I would not accept anyone on my practitioners’ course who had not done at least a year’s shamanism. Also, a year’s course doesn’t sound very long (unless it is almost full time). Mine is 3 years.

Now, these may sound like silly questions but I have been working my way through "Singing the Soul Back Home" by Caitlin Matthews. This has been written from the perspective of someone who has never journeyed and it takes you through, step by step. In the section I've reached I've been told to journey to the middleworld which I have yet to do, to meet my guardian animal. I don't feel I need to do this as I have already done this, but I met him in the underworld. I don't think that there should be another guardian animal in the middleworld, should there? The texts I had read previously said you meet your guardian animal in the lower world and your teacher in the upperworld. However, this book is telling me to journey to the middleworld to find a middleworld teacher. Is this a different teacher to the one I have met in the upper world or this is just a different approach to meeting guardians and teachers? I don't want to go off looking for new connections when I have already made them. I wish to develop the connections I have made further but I am trying to work my way through this book and learn. I've just become a little confused at this point!

Is “guardian animal” Caitlin’s term? (I know she has changed a lot of the usual terminology in the book, but it’s about 15 years since I read it!) Most people’s first journey is to meet a ‘power animal’ – this is a main helper. It is usually met in the Lower World (not Underworld) because, as a rule of thumb, this is where we find power. However, was your power animal not brought for you as part of the healing – which I assume was extraction and soul retrieval - ? This would be usual.

The teacher is often (but not always) met in the Upper World. We do get more teachers as we continue – ones with particular specialities – but I would advise you not to rush this. If you’ve met a power animal and a teacher, then spend time getting to know them.

Apologies if these are stupid questions but I am quite new to shamanism and can completely confess my inexperience. I know that I am at the start of my journey - and what an exciting one it is. It would be great to get some advice from those of you who have much more experience.

Thank you.

They are not stupid questions. Everyone has to learn. Have you done a basic course? If so, with whom? And who are you doing the healing course with?
Where do you live? Is there a shamanic drum circle nearby? We all need other people to practice with.:)

Topic starter
(@sharri1036)

Hi Crowan and thanks for your reply.

Yes, I am guessing Guardian Animal is her own term as I am used to it being called power animal from other books I have read.

No, I did not meet my power animal during my shamanic healing treatment. There was no mention made of a power animal when I had this. I met my animal the first time I journeyed and it made perfect sense as the type of animal was one I was completely obsessed with when I was very, very young and it's not a usual animal at all. During my second journey my power animal took me to the upper world and there I saw my teacher. I then journeyed to meet my teacher, who I feel to be an ancestor from many hundreds of years ago, but that is just my perception.

I had my healing in my home town of Glastonbury and yes, it was extraction and retrieval. It was with Kestrel Greenwood at the Brigit Healing Centre. I also thought it much better to gain shamanic experience too but he said that I should do the course that they run there and said I did not need more experience than I had. At that stage, I had pretty much none but I did journey whilst I received my healing and I had naturally crossed over before without consciously attempting it. I've not done a basic course - I've just been trying to learn for myself. Being in Glastonbury, yes, there is a drumming circle, I'm pretty sure. I have a 2 year old though so my time is rarely my own so I am working within my restrictions!

I've started with Reiki. My auntie who is a seer and healer suggested this a good way to start on my healing path. The course that the Greenwoods run starts in March next year - was going to see how things went before enrolling. If I don't next year then will plan to the year after, I think.

Thanks for your help and look forward to chatting further 🙂

malcolmmoore
(@malcolmmoore)

Hi Sharri. I always recommend people do a basic weekend course before trying to do journeying on our own. I have found that people can get themselves into all kinds of unnecessary situations and misunderstandings. It can actually slow down their shamanic growth. I agree with Crowan that once you have got a good sense of your own spiritual landscape through a few one off courses, then find a 2-3 year training. I will be quicker and more thorough and may save you some problems.
Best wishes.
Malcolm.

(@mouse16)
Honorable Member

Hello Sharri,

I'm at a similar stage to you I think - pretty much a beginner drawn to Shamanism (and always reading books and more books!). I did a good introductory course and journeyed on my own for a while then stopped, partly due to illness, and partly due to wondering if I was making it all up.

I was interested in your experience of Shamanic healing and wondered how you felt afterwards and how you knew that it had worked?

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

I met my animal the first time I journeyed and it made perfect sense as the type of animal was one I was completely obsessed with when I was very, very young and it's not a usual animal at all. During my second journey my power animal took me to the upper world and there I saw my teacher. I then journeyed to meet my teacher, who I feel to be an ancestor from many hundreds of years ago, but that is just my perception.

As I said, on my courses these would be the first two things that you would do. What you miss from doing this alone is the experiences of others – which widens your perception of what is possible. (I know someone who does his entire Lower World journeys in his tunnel, never actually coming out into the Lower World. It works and it is fine for him, but he now teaches that the Lower World is a tunnel, because he has not registered that his experience is unusual.)
And you miss the power of working with and for other people who are on the same path.
You also miss skilled this-reality teachers being able to help you form tight, clear intentions and to help you understand your spirits’ teachings. Most people who work by themselves can have really deep journeys while missing out on really deep teachings.
Another aspect is safety. To an extent, you can be protected by the innocence of your intentions. However, this only lasts for so long. As you gain experience you will meet spirits who have different agendas from your own. Remember, in most native societies people don’t want to be shamans – it is an uncomfortable and dangerous path.

I had my healing in my home town of Glastonbury and yes, it was extraction and retrieval. It was with Kestrel Greenwood at the Brigit Healing Centre. I also thought it much better to gain shamanic experience too but he said that I should do the course that they run there and said I did not need more experience than I had. At that stage, I had pretty much none but I did journey whilst I received my healing and I had naturally crossed over before without consciously attempting it. I've not done a basic course - I've just been trying to learn for myself. Being in Glastonbury, yes, there is a drumming circle, I'm pretty sure. I have a 2 year old though so my time is rarely my own so I am working within my restrictions!

I’m sorry, but I don’t think teaching healing to someone with no real experience is responsible. I can see from his website that most of what he is teaching is not actually “shamanic healing” (all the new-age additions) so you might be alright, although I wonder if that is actually what you want.

I've started with Reiki. My auntie who is a seer and healer suggested this a good way to start on my healing path. The course that the Greenwoods run starts in March next year - was going to see how things went before enrolling. If I don't next year then will plan to the year after, I think.

I know a few people who did Reiki before finding shamanism. Afterwards there isn’t really any need since anything you can do with Reiki you can do with shamanism, and shamanism does so much more. It certainly won’t get in your way and may help you to understand power when your shamanic studies get to that stage. You would be far better learning more shamanism.

I appreciate a 2-year old is demanding. But s/he won’t be two forever. Maybe you’d be better waiting until you can do it properly?

Topic starter
(@sharri1036)

Thanks for your suggestions, Crowan. I'm afraid I can't wait! I know that now is the time for me to do this and so I just have to work at whatever pace I can whilst caring for my daughter.

Would you mind checking out this website for me, please:

[url]The Isle of Avalon Foundation | Home[/url]

Howard and Elsa Malpas also do Shamanic training in Glastonbury. I have read what is said and it did sound more the ticket but I know very little so would appreciate your expertise.

My partner has previously journeyed, is very much on the same path as me and would be interested in doing more journeying. Maybe, until the point when I can get some proper training in then working with him would negate some of the issues you mentioned. He has said he'd like to do this. We have been speaking about journeying together for some time.

Hello Mouse - how did I know it had worked? There was no question that it had! It completely changed my outlook. I had just suffered a miscarriage. I was lost, empty, sad....well, you can imagine. I came out of my healing feeling positive, happy, focused and much more like I used to before. I was amazed by how it had worked. I actually started to feel guilty that I was feeling so happy so soon after something so devastating had happened. This is what really got me interested.

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

Would you mind checking out this website for me, please:

[url]The Isle of Avalon Foundation | Home[/url]
Howard and Elsa Malpas also do Shamanic training in Glastonbury. I have read what is said and it did sound more the ticket but I know very little so would appreciate your expertise.

Howard and Elsa trained with the Foundation for Shamanic Studies and are well known in the Core Shamanic community. Their course The Shamanic Journey will cover all the basics, I am sure. As for their practitioners’ course, it is 15 days tuition – (half of what I teach, so there must be things they don’t cover that I do – of course, I’m biased!) over a year. It’s probably pretty good. I’ve met and liked them both, and my partner rates Elsa highly. In addition, they run the UK branch of the Society of Shamanic Practitioners

My partner has previously journeyed, is very much on the same path as me and would be interested in doing more journeying. Maybe, until the point when I can get some proper training in then working with him would negate some of the issues you mentioned. He has said he'd like to do this. We have been speaking about journeying together for some time.

I hope you don’t mind my asking, but what are the intentions of the journeys that you are doing? And are you finding it easy to understand your answers? I’d be happy to help if I can,

Topic starter
(@sharri1036)

Hi Crowan and thanks again for your help. Well, I will definitely look to do my training with the Malpas's now. Alas, they have a workshop this weekend but its too late to arrange anything now so I will aim for the next one. Where are you based, by the way?

So far, I have been very general with my intentions, i.e meet power animal, meet teacher, explore landscape etc. I do have some questions I intend to ask once I am comfortable but have not yet reached that stage.

Thanks again 🙂

(@mouse16)
Honorable Member

Hello Mouse - how did I know it had worked? There was no question that it had! It completely changed my outlook. I had just suffered a miscarriage. I was lost, empty, sad....well, you can imagine. I came out of my healing feeling positive, happy, focused and much more like I used to before. I was amazed by how it had worked. I actually started to feel guilty that I was feeling so happy so soon after something so devastating had happened. This is what really got me interested.

That is brilliant. I will be embarking on my own shamanic healing soon so I am interested to hear from someone who has experienced it. Look forward to seeing you on the shamanic page, good luck with the training 🙂

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

Hi Crowan and thanks again for your help. Well, I will definitely look to do my training with the Malpas's now. Alas, they have a workshop this weekend but its too late to arrange anything now so I will aim for the next one. Where are you based, by the way?

I’m in North Yorkshire at the moment (if you’ve been looking for shamanic teachers on the internet, I’m Jane Shutt, North Yorkshire Shamanism). However, very soon (we hope the week after next) we are moving to Wales – when we’ll have to change the name, of course.

So far, I have been very general with my intentions, i.e meet power animal, meet teacher, explore landscape etc. I do have some questions I intend to ask once I am comfortable but have not yet reached that stage.

This all sounds good. When you do get to that stage, I’d be happy to help you to formulate intentions – it is a skill that has to be learned. If you think they’d be too private for here, just PM me.

What drumming CD/MP3 file are you using? And how long is it? I generally recommend the Foundation for Shamanic Studies double drumming CD. There are other good ones but this is one of the easiest to get hold of.:)

Topic starter
(@sharri1036)

Hey, thanks for your help again, Crowan. It's very kind of you to offer to help me formulate my questions. I will PM when I am ready - thank you 🙂

I've been using a CD provided with the book "Shamanic Journeying - A Beginners Guide" by Sandra Ingerman. The one I've used is only 12 minutes. I did try the Shamanic Drumming CD recorded by Howard Malpas in Badger Caves. My partner had it in his collection. I just couldn't get on with it though.

Is this the one you meant?

If so, I'll give it a go. Thank you 🙂

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

Hey, thanks for your help again, Crowan. It's very kind of you to offer to help me formulate my questions. I will PM when I am ready - thank you 🙂

I've been using a CD provided with the book "Shamanic Journeying - A Beginners Guide" by Sandra Ingerman. The one I've used is only 12 minutes. I did try the Shamanic Drumming CD recorded by Howard Malpas in Badger Caves. My partner had it in his collection. I just couldn't get on with it though.

Is this the one you meant?

[url]Shamanic Journey Solo and Double Drumming: Amazon.co.uk: Music[/url]

If so, I'll give it a go. Thank you 🙂

That's the one. I would try the double drumming - most people find that easier to journey to than single drumming - and start with the 15 minutes.
15 minutes is long enough for most journeys. I only use longer ones for healing or for counselling.

Share: