Clear all

Distance Yoga Teacher Training: BSY or Aura

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@shakti77)

Hello,

I am looking at taking a distance yoga teacher training program. These are the two courses I am considering.

I was originally planning to do the british school of yoga course but have heard that the actual course materials provided are not of good quality and very basic. This course does however allow graduates to apply for affiliation to the independent yoga network and to qualify for indemnity insurance. It also has a one day practical training which takes place at the school as well as a requirement to attend 150 hours of yoga classes.

The course offered by the aura wellness centre has really great materials provided with the course including some useful looking info on getting work as a yoga teacher. However there is no contact at all, the practical exam is a video of you teaching a class. The qualification at the end of this course is a Certified Yoga Teacher (CYT). I don't know if completetion of this course allows me to register with the independent yoga network or if I could get indemnity insurance with this certification.

I am really torn between the two courses as I think that the aura wellness one is actually better and offers more in terms of quality materials and personal development but if I was unable to get insurance that would put me off. The BSY course seems a bit basic but would allow me to get insured and start teaching.

I also need to consider the fact that I may not feel ready to teach after a home study course and so it is also important that the course I do is able to provide me with sufficient personal development to justify it.

I have been studying yoga with a teacher for 4 hours a week for many years now as well as having a strong personal practice. I looked into more conventional training such as an intensive but this was beyond my means and there are no schools offering teachers training anywhere near me.

I will be going into full time education next year and will need to work part time to supplement my income I would like to be able to do this doing something I love like teaching yoga.

Any feedback on the above courses would be great have you done either of them, what did you think? Or just from looking at them how do they seem?

Thank you so much for your time.

8 Replies
Energylz
(@energylz)

Hi Shakti and welcome to Healthypages,

I've not done any courses with either, but I have heard of lot of different people comment about BSY and let's say... it wasn't good comments.

There have been some discussions before on HP about BSY which you may find if you do a search.

All I recall from it myself is that I know I wouldn't do a course with them.

As for the other organisation you mention, I haven't heard of them so couldn't comment about how good they are. Hopefully someone on here will have personal experience of these two to be able to share with you.

All Love and Reiki Hugs

Topic starter
(@shakti77)

Hi Energylz,

Thank you for your response to my post. I am now thinking that it is unlikely that I will do the BSY course. No disrespect to the course of the school it is just that it's now what I am looking for as I want something more in depth and I really think that the aura wellness centre will provide that it's just the question of being able to get insured so that I can teach once I complete it.

Thank you again for your advice!

beckyboop922
(@beckyboop922)
Noble Member

Hello Shakti,

Normally I would say stay well clear of BSY I have had a run in or two with them personally, but because you have been studying for 4 hours a week for years with your teacher and you are obviously committed to personal development then I would say go with the course that will get you some insurance, that way you can start to earn money and once that happens there is nothing stopping you taking the other course with the Aura Centre.
Good luck either way.

Love

Rebecca x

(@purplewolf)
Trusted Member

I did the BSY course a few years ago, it wasn't too indepth, but each time I cover a topic, it lead me (or I lead myself) to go further than the simpllified response. I'm not sure what the mininum amount of work was that one is required to get the mark need but I tended to go beyond the minimum - but that was just me.

Much of what was covered, I had covered on my Yoga Teacher Training and by doing the course I recapped on these subject.

If someone is considering taking the BSY course, I'd say that it is better suited to someone starting out, as apposed to someone with years of practisce and Yogic study behind them (who will know this stuff anyway).

It depends where the person is in their Yoga journey.

My reason for doing it was to sign up with Independant Yoga Network.

(@ebgilding)
Eminent Member

Hi Shakti,

It might be a bit late but I was in the same predicament as you and managed to find a course which was half home study (A&P and yoga philosophy/history) and half practical. This seemed to work ok for me and it does seem quite in depth (I had been doing yoga for about 6 years when I started the course). Its registered with REPs so you can work in gyms etc if you wanted to and gain insurance easily.

Just something to look at if you haven't signed up for anything yet. It's with Yoga Professionals.

Good luck on your journey.

Namaste,
Emma

(@tarakane1)

I would say from personal opinion that i'd highly advise against doing a 100% distance course. Yoga teacher training is an intense process and i think it always helps to have the teacher and fellow student's support along the way. A couple of my friends did distance courses and found the whole process quite stressful, whereas i did a teacher training retreat (in bali which probably helped!) and really loved it.

Its hard to give advice without knowing the full extent of your restrictions...i.e. money and time. But i'd say go with a more hands on approach. It'll pay off in the end.

The course i did was by an australian company SBC Yoga that run yoga teacher training courses in some great locations and they were awesome . But if you want one a bit closer to home, i've heard really good things about Yoga London [url]Yoga Teacher Training London Course | Yoga Instructor Training | Yoga Alliance Certified Yoga Intensive Course[/url]

Hope that helps!

(@alexrichard)

You are decided the right way for your education.Its is very impressive.Yoga teacher help to make a bright future with health and wealthy life..I've a great experience of yoga teacher training.In my opinion it is the better way.Good luck...

[url]Yoga Certification[/url]

(@vijaysharma)

Yoga Teacher Training

Hi Shakti,

I might want to say that I don't incline toward separation yoga educator preparing as I imagine that might not comparable to take preparing from coach who are with you.people may have any mistrust or may be they don't comprehend and they can effortlessly ask from trainer.i think taking in with mentor's vicinity is more adequate than separation Yoga training.and we get numerous thing that require for training with great quality which is not given by separation Yoga preparing.So I move on to which have excellent team of expert faculty.

Share: