butternut squash an...

Notifications
Clear all

butternut squash and ginger soup - delicious!

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 Raya
Topic starter
(@raya)
Estimable Member

I've just made a fantastic, wonderfully tasty and fairly quick to make, soup (recipe given to me by my mum):

1 butternut squash cut into chuncks
1 large onion sliced
4 or 5 potatoes
tumb sized piece of fresh ginger

Saute the lot in a large saucepan add enough veg stock to cover - simmer until tender then wizz smooth. You can add chopped coriander to garnish.

You can change the quantities of ingredients to suit your own taste - we put extra ginger in ours as we love the flavour.

The whole family loves it!

6 Replies
myarka
(@myarka)
Illustrious Member

Thanks Raya,

We look forward to giving it a try.

Myarka.

CarolineN
(@carolinen)
Famed Member

Sounds wonderful! Thanks Raya - I look forward to making it later!

(@fudge)
Reputable Member

Love the soup, been eating butternuts for years but hated pealing and chopping them, years ago a good friend laughed at me and said dont bother with all that peeling and chopping. Just cut them in half, or quarters, or more depending on the size. Put in a covered glass dish in the microwave and microwave for ......... the length of time depends on what you want to do with it.

For instance, if you have a fresh baby butternut, cut into quarters and microwave until a skewer goes easily through it, then you can just add butter, salt, pepper and enjoy, seeds and all. I eat the skin but others dont and it looks so nice and colorful.

For older ones, again quarter them (or more) and when soft, allow them to cool for easier handling, scoop out the seeds, then cut away the 'skin', chop up the flesh and add to the soup recipe after the potatoes have been softened, etc. I tend to aim for less water/stock when doing the potatoes, add the butternut and then top up with stock if necessary, or add a stock cube to the water when cooking the potatoes. Add a dash or swirl of cream, sprinkle a bit of parsley before serving.

Or forget about making soup, how about roast butternut, by microwaving first it shortens the time spent cooking in the conventional oven, microwave until a knife goes in but still has a bit more to cook, scoop out the seeds, keep the skins on and place in an overproof dish, dash of olive oil, cook until tender and you have a butternut with an extra nutty flavour, mmmmmmmmmmmm,

Happy eating

Fudge

muzone
(@muzone)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the idea, i added a bit of red chili for some more heat, and stirred in a small spoon of cream to finish it, lovely............

Flit
(@flit)
Prominent Member

Thank you for sharing... I am only just learning how to use butternut squash and ginger in recipes ... and I can buy these fresh locally, so it is so good to see a recipe where I can use both! Thank you...

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

[COLOR="Purple"]Using baked, cooked butternut squash gives a better - more concentrated - flavour to soups.

Share: