Clear all

Being brought down by others

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@tigerlily)
Honorable Member

Right, firstly, I have to accept that I must be attracting what other people around me are saying and doing, so obviously I need to create a greater sense of faith and self-belief, but I wanted to know what other people think about this.

I keep my spiritual beliefs to myself most of the time as I don't want to preach to other people; their journey is their journey and they have to discover things for themselves and form their own opinions. I also can't exactly prove my beliefs, either, and it's also something which I'm constantly learning about, which makes me a novice.

So I'm really trying to remain focussed and maintain faith, yet people around me are constantly saying things like 'Life is hard' and 'life isn't always fair' (my mum's favourite) which brings me down and reinforces all of my own negativity.

Sometimes I'll be making real progress and start feeling positive and confident, then someone will say something and bring me back down again.

So, what can I do to maintain my faith, when surrounded by such negativity? It's probably reflecting my own fears, but how can I break the cycle?

3 Replies
(@jnani)
Noble Member

Hi
To keep on a stright narrow path of positivity is quite ardous task. Very efforty. The contrast is becoming more stark as you go further on your path. Firstly, these people were perhaps always saying things but now you have moved on so it becoming quite obvious how negative people really are generally ..
Also your own positivity is yet to become effortless and more flowing. If it were it wouldn't be affected by their negativity. Just relax into how their remarks affect you that will become a lot less effortful. Then people can carry on doing/saying what they like and you will naturally and loosely do what you want to do.

Reiki Pixie
(@reiki-pixie)
Noble Member

Hi TL

I'm not a subscriber of LOA, as to me the universe is more complicated than that. But don't want to argue that point, plus there is an element of truth in LOA I won't totally denigh it. If someone heavily bangs on to me about LOA all I do is LOL 😉 (That's a joke by the way - please no old fashioned religious stoning :rolleyes:)

May be expressing gently some of your beliefs would be of benefit. Traditionally people who walked a spiritual path found spiritual friends. This helped to reinforce faith and the will to carry on. Not knowing anything about you or your life, could that be the case?

There seems to me whenever an individual or even a society increases awareness, there is often "forces" that seem to drag it down. May be this is just the swings and round abouts of life. Just thinking out loud.

Sometimes life is very challenging, but it's a question holding through the bumpy ride before it smoothes itself out.

Sometimes we have those moments of clarity and everything shines, but as the student of an old Zen master asked, "Master I am awakened". The master replied, "Go and wash your rice bowl out!" So the mundane-ness of life carries on, but with a new preception :cool:.

Having some time off, whether walking in the park or going on retreat (or should that be having a re-treat), is important to the mind - increasing mental, spiritually, and energetic integrity. Helping to ride them ripples of life.

Best wishes

RP

(@lindaannh)
Noble Member

Hi Tigerlily when people are being really negative around me I try not to respond or agree with them instead I say to myself "I dont believe that statement and i know its not true" I dont try to debate with them (unless we are having a discussion about something in particular) but general moaning i try to let wash over me. Very basic and simple but it does work and stops you getting frustrated or :banghead:

Love and Light
Linda xx

Share: