Notifications
Clear all

Lavateria

jeannie
Topic starter
(@jeannie)
Noble Member

Has anyone ever tried to grow this round anything such as a pergola or up bamboo? Or does it just have to be left as a bush type plant.

6 Replies
Lynora
(@jabba-the-hut)
Famed Member

I've got lots of lavatera, but they are not 'trainable' as they are soft-wood shrubs. They get cut back within an inch of their life every year, and within a couple of months are over 6 feet high and covered in flowers! The only stuff that I can get to 'train' are roses, climbing hydrangea and honeysuckle (which I've also got climbing up a few of the larger trees).

jeannie
Topic starter
(@jeannie)
Noble Member

Knew I had the spelling incorrect :rollaugh: Thanks for advice.

Kiga
 Kiga
(@kiga)
Reputable Member

Clematis is also good for training - you can get evergreen varieties too.

cactuschris
(@cactuschris)
Prominent Member

Abutilon, Fremontodendron, Wisteria, Akebia, Cytissus battandieriei arte all ok candidates.

chris

jeannie
Topic starter
(@jeannie)
Noble Member

Abutilon, Fremontodendron, Wisteria, Akebia, Cytissus battandieriei arte all ok candidates.

chris

Phew Chris I thought you were coming in with a few new swear words :rollaugh: any chance of common names? I only know Wisteria.

cactuschris
(@cactuschris)
Prominent Member

The best answer is to put them into google images, but:

abultilon is a bit like lavateria
fremontodendron is a yellow and red thing a bit like a folded up lavateria,
wisteria is a climber in the pea family with blue or white flowers - very japanese in its form
akebia is called the choclate vine, it has browninsh flowers with sausage like fruits
cytissus batanderierei is called the pinapple plant as its bright yellow flowers (in the pea family) small of pineappple
they are all nice plants though some are less hardy than others.

chris

Share: