Clear all

Ear wax -- too much or not enough

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@learning)
Reputable Member

Seems to me I read a while ago that having a decent amount of earwax meant you were healthy. I've noticed in the past month that I have none in one ear and very little in the other. In the ear without the wax, I have what I would call tinnitus. It sounds like an electronic humming. I've tried some oily drops bought over the counter for earwax but nothing is happening. Seems to me there was some other liquid meant to be squirted into the ear that foamed or crackled or something. Any ideas? Can someone recommend something else?

Also, when I sit and look straight ahead and tilt my head to the side with the humming, my head doesn't go as far down as on the other side and I feel a pulling. So perhaps a nerve is pinched which explains the hum. But what about the lack of wax?

2 Replies
(@jade321)
Reputable Member

I thought I had a problem with too much wax in one ear, but the doctor told me it was clear. What I do have, I believe, is a problem in that ear where the fluid isn't draining properly. Been a problem since an ear infection a few years ago.

Probably should do something about it, but haven't done, as yet. Maybe this could be a problem for you?

(@aromababe)
Famed Member

I would doubt whether there is no earwax at all in your ear. Ideally, there should just be a thin lining of wax to the ear canal, which keeps the ear canal clean. It's only when there is an excessive amount of wax that doesn't disperse and becomes dry and impacted that it usually becomes a problem and it is only then that the ear drops which fizz could be used (although my own opinion is that they are quite caustic and over use can cause problems. I certainly wouldn't recommend you using them if you ears are clear of wax.

Often when people feel they have congestion in an ear, it is due to catarrh in the inner ear, rather than in the ear canal. This is on the other side of the ear drum, so ear drops won't reach it.

Ear candling can be useful for this and possibly for the noise you can hear. I recommend that you see a qualified therapist who would probably recommend more than one treatment.

As for the pulling in your neck, and osteopath should be able to help with this. They may recommend cranial work, which can help with the ears too, depending, of course, on what is causing the problem.

Share: