What is your best d...

Notifications
Clear all

What is your best de-stress technique?

Page 1 / 2

Resonance
Topic starter
(@resonance)

How do you cope with stress? Do you do breathing exercises? Meditate? Walk in the park? Interested to know what works best for you

44 Replies
amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

I have several that are equally effective:

- managing to laugh about something e.g. a comedy programme (puts things into perspective),

- using an electric massager on tensed muscles

- and (shamelessly) food! (I wouldn't recommend using food to overcome stress since it is problematic in terms of overeating, but - that said - it is surefired and works for me!)

In terms of being overwhelmed/preoccupied with something, I find that looking up at the night sky is an instant solution re. putting it into perspective!

Energylz
(@energylz)

- using an electric massager on tensed muscles and (shamelessly)

LOL! 'salright for you ladies.. πŸ˜€

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

LOL! 'salright for you ladies.. πŸ˜€

It isn't a vibrator!

I see where you may have got that idea from - the words 'and shamelessly' referred to food (now edited).

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

Qigong

Ray of Light
(@ray-of-light)
Trusted Member

This is a good thread for exchanging ideas on managing stress. Mine are essential oils; both bathing in them and also using my recently purchased diffuser. Also, sitting down and watching a film, which takes me away from the immediate problem and allows my brain to work quietly in the background to come up with a way of managing the stress.

Ray

Crowan
(@crowan)
Famed Member

Gardening and shamanism.

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Gardening and shamanism.

Oh yes gardening! I could have included that...I also find cooking relaxing i.e. not done to a tight schedule.

Bjingles
(@bjingles)

When we're stressed, hormones like cortisol flood our systems, producing the "fight or flight response" in which our heart rate goes up, we breathe more heavily (requiring more oxygen) and our blood vessels constrict. While in the pre-civilization world, the increased blood flow to our heart and muscles helped us escape from predators and dangerous situations.

Go For A 10 Minute Walk

Breathe Deeply

Visualize

darrensurrey
(@darrensurrey)
Famed Member

Well, I practice chi kung and tai chi regularly so that helps to keep me relaxed overall, and I suppose keeps me aware of my emotions so when I get stressed I can just tell myself to let it go.

Cascara
(@cascara)
Prominent Member

|I have been studying stress responses recently and realise that cortisol is the key, so releasing it is good and bad but chronic exposure is very damaging and one of the best ways to get rid of the levels is exercise. Clearing the flight/fight response by exercise that tricks the body to think it can stop releasing the stress hormones as we have run away and are safe, or have fought off the beastie, it doesn't need a lot or to be lengthy, a short spurt seems to work as well, 10 fast press ups or a sprint or a cross fit workout, ( of course blah blah about exercise and taking care etc) πŸ™‚

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

|I have been studying stress responses recently and realise that cortisol is the key, so releasing it is good and bad but chronic exposure is very damaging and one of the best ways to get rid of the levels is exercise. Clearing the flight/fight response by exercise that tricks the body to think it can stop releasing the stress hormones as we have run away and are safe, or have fought off the beastie, it doesn't need a lot or to be lengthy, a short spurt seems to work as well, 10 fast press ups or a sprint or a cross fit workout, ( of course blah blah about exercise and taking care etc) πŸ™‚

That of course assumes those options are open to you.....I couldn't do press ups if my life depended on it!!! I do wii fit jogging sometimes but that's the closest I get to a sprint!! However any exercise will reduce the stress hormones released by the flight or fight response. It doesn't have to be that physically daunting.

Its worth remembering that stress isn't caused by events or people or situations but by how we respond ........the best and simplest stress reduction technique bar none is simply to take a deep breath when something happens. That gives you time to change your response...

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

I have heard that brisk walking - enough to get you out of breath - is just as beneficial as jogging.
I am sure we all know that exercise releases endorphins which help alleviate stress.

Ray of Light
(@ray-of-light)
Trusted Member

I run two or three times a week and sometimes after a day's work, I don't feel like running but do it anyway because I know that when I've finished I feel great, and that feeling lasts several hours. I've tried all sorts of different exercises but for me, nothing produces that endorphin high like running.

Cascara
(@cascara)
Prominent Member

Ray you might enjoy Crossfit then, it gives a massive boost to fitness, and stress reduction πŸ™‚

fitbill
(@fitbill)

I think best de-stress technique, is going always to be RUNNING.

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

I think best de-stress technique, is going always to be RUNNING.

Not everyone can run tho fitbill. I teach qigong to elderly people who cannot easily stand and people with cerebral palsy who are in wheelchairs.

fitbill
(@fitbill)

Not everyone can run tho fitbill. I teach qigong to elderly people who cannot easily stand and people with cerebral palsy who are in wheelchairs.

Ok then at these kind of situations .. they have to find something else.. But I wish to the most of the people to be able to have a good RUNNING and be able to feel good through a good exersice plan ..

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

For those who dislike running....good news! Walking briskly compares favourably with running for beneficial physical factors.

Ray of Light
(@ray-of-light)
Trusted Member

I have to say I agree with fitbill. I've done quite a few different sorts of exercise over the years; tennis, aerobics, gym, cycling (both indoor exercise bike and racing bike) and swimming. I know it's a personal thing but nothing has ever reached that euphoric feeling I get when I've just had a run!

Ray

fitbill
(@fitbill)

I have to say I agree with fitbill. I've done quite a few different sorts of exercise over the years; tennis, aerobics, gym, cycling (both indoor exercise bike and racing bike) and swimming. I know it's a personal thing but nothing has ever reached that euphoric feeling I get when I've just had a run!

Ray

That's right my friend, the feeling that anyone has after a good running is unbelievable, I think you already know what I mean.

The time that you are walking after a good running, is amazing, you breathe deeply, your body is at the higher temperature, your heart is pumping like a crazy, you cannot feel more alive than that, your all existence is on the move .. you feel like the superman that just concured the world .. hahaha ..

Even for some minutes you have the feeling of the best .. full of confidence .. and you cant compare it to anything else ..

Tashanie
(@tashanie)
Noble Member

Its GOT to be a personal things. Anything that makes you feel good is a de - stressing technique. It has to be determined by personal circumstances., likes, dislikes, time available, health issues . Running is YOUR best destress technique. Walking, qigong, meditation, and sometimes swimming are mine. But it would be a boring old world if we were all the same.

Ray of Light
(@ray-of-light)
Trusted Member

.. you feel like the superman that just concured the world .. hahaha ..

Even for some minutes you have the feeling of the best .. full of confidence .. and you cant compare it to anything else ..

That made me laugh! I know exactly what you mean!

I take your point though Tashanie that running isn't for everyone. I think the main point of any exercise you do is to ENJOY it. That way, you're more likely to continue with it rather than giving up.

Ray

Frodo1988
(@frodo1988)

I go to the basement to use screwdriver.

Woodland Wellness
(@woodland-wellness)

Haa breathing

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Haa breathing

Deep breathing? Repeatedly taking in a deep breath and slowly exhaling does seem to calm the mind down.

Eos16
(@eos16)

Running has been my stress release of recent years. I do love it, but can longer participate due to a problem with my knee that no one can get to the bottom of. I randomly gives way and last year resulted in a broken nose, broken little finger and 4 stitches in my knee! So I have to do things that don't leave me at risk of being miles away from home, or anyone I know. I roller skate, and I lift weights (although not been for a while due to being ill, then lazy!). Also putting on my favourite box set and getting lost in the fantasy whilst burning some of my favourite oils works well too.

Mike
 Mike
Admin
(@mike-2)

Hi heard a real good talk on stress a while ago, you can hear it hear...

very interesting, especially the part about stress being a positive thing, and its only bad for you if you think that...!

amy green
(@amy-green)
Noble Member

Hi heard a real good talk on stress a while ago, you can hear it hear...

very interesting, especially the part about stress being a positive thing, and its only bad for you if you think that...!

I listened to some of this but had to stop when I disagreed with the speaker. Notably, she said that when you are stressed the heart is pounding (ready for a challenge), that you get more oxygen and so can think better! However, when the heart is pounding, we become more emotional so I would dispute that we can think more clearly. Stress involves feeling threatened, and a pounding heart indicates the release of the stress hormones, i.e. already not positive!

She is trying to change the way we view stress and that is fine. However, to see stress as a positive is changing the situation, i.e. you can no longer call it stress if this gear change occurs before the stress hormones kick in (e.g. the pounding heart). If you avoid what is known as stress, then you are not stressed in the first place!

Mike
 Mike
Admin
(@mike-2)

thats why you need to listen to the whole thing

Page 1 / 2
Share: