Notifications
Clear all

Scam

Aromababe
Topic starter
(@aromababe)
Famed Member

Just wanted to let you know about a scam that my son, Bradley, was nearly caught up in.

As some of you know, he has just graduated from uni. He lives in Manchester in a supported community as he has Asperger Syndrome.

He's been trying since January to get a job, and apart from some part time work in the linens department of a hotel, has been unsuccessful.

The only other job he was offered was a supposed 'sales and marketing' job, which turned out to be knocking on people's doors getting them to sign direct debits for mobile phone contracts and charities.

Mindful that everything is not necessarily as it seems, he was called for an interview last week. It was with a 'financial training company', who have a very professional looking website. Evidently, they got Bradley's and several other post graduates' CV's from various agencies. They were told at the interview that they could go on a financial training course which would run for a month. If at the end of the course, they passed an exam, they would be guaranteed a job with Barclays as a financial/mortgage advisor.

They had to pay £3,500 for the course, but this would be taken off their first year's salary of £22,000 at a rate of £300 per month. They could retake the exam if they failed, but if they decided not to go ahead with the job, they would still be liable to pay half the cost. Bradley asked lots of questions, and it was confirmed that they would definitely be guaranteed a job, providing they passed the exam.

I wasn't happy with this and even less so when Bradley told me that he had a Credit Agreement to sign. I alerted the Employment Co-ordinator at his community who eventually got an answer that Barclays has not put its name to this scheme and that the police should be contacted.

I haven't put the name of the company here, as I'm not sure that I can, but think it would help anyone else putting the company into Google, which is what we did, but not much came up.

There are a lot of unscrupulous people out there taking advantage of desperate job seekers, many of whom already have debts up to their eyeballs.

3 Replies
sunanda
(@sunanda)
Illustrious Member

Well, thank heavens you sussed this out before Bradley found himself up to his eyes in debt. As you say, there are some scummy people around. On a slightly different tack, I have been amazed by all the ads in the free papers for 'training courses' for all sorts of things; one I noticed this evening was for 'flight attendants'. I betcha there's not a sniff of a job at the end of these courses, but of course you'd only find that out after you parted with a whole heap of money. And I think too that some places are getting people to work for no pay to begin with while they are 'assessed'...It's just not right.

Aromababe
Topic starter
(@aromababe)
Famed Member

Yes, the other thing is 'internships' which seem to be springing up here there and everywhere. Isn't that just another word for unpaid work experience? Not a bad thing, in it's place, but it often seems to be the only thing that is available.

Louisa
(@louisa_1611053138)
Noble Member

Dear me, they get everywhere 😡
So please you found it was a scam.

Share: