Icelandic volcano

34 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
sunanda
Topic starter
(@sunanda)
Illustrious Member

I'm really surprised that no one has yet started a thread on the consequences of the plume of ash rising from the erupting Icelandic volcano. This has had and is continuing to have such major repercussions on travellers all over the world, not to mention the threat to our food imports here in UK that I can't help feeling that there is something apocalyptic about the whole thing. A Spanish group I took on a tour of London last Monday should have flown back on Thursday - well, of course they couldn't and ended up spending one night at Luton airport, two more nights back in the London hotel and then had to charter a coach to take them to Plymouth yesterday, where they were able to get a ferry to Santander, with another coach at that end to get them back to Granada. The extra expense must have been enormous. A friend of a friend should have flown from UK to Copenhagen on Friday and is now stuck until next Wednesday when she is going by ferry to Hook of Holland and onwards from there by train. A member of my family is on a two week holiday in Thailand - only God knows if he'll be able to get back or not. What gets me though are the people interviewed at the airports who are saying 'well, I think the government should do something about it.' Umm, like what? (Anyway, I was told today by a politically savvy friend that as we are in the run up to an election we effectively don't have a government at the moment....)
So all in all, a pretty kettle of fish!:rolleyes:

xxx

33 Replies
Reikiangel
(@reikiangel)
Illustrious Member

Hmmm... I admit to thinking something similar during the week Sunanda. I also feel that this is quite an apocolyptic event, I mean when has ANYTHING stopped all air travel for so long in our time? I thought that it could be the beginning of something quite serious because of the repercussions (and not just the loss of a holiday!). Humans so often over-look or dismiss the power of nature and look how they are being affected by it now.. a wake up call? This is something that we have no control over and are at the mercy of it. People are going to have to start thinking about how we are going to live our lives now with a possible shortage of food, travelling for work etc. Interesting times....

Love and light

reikiangel

xxx

(@clarity77)
Trusted Member

In long term it could be effect by some food and other stuff which fly for us but beside that I am extreamely happy that there is at least couple of airplane-pollution free days on this century 🙂 No shopping trips to Italy hahaha!!!

Bannick
(@bannick)
Famed Member

I just found out that a couple of our friends are stuck overseas due to the "no fly" restrictions. I think they're trying to find a way back by sea now.

With regard to food, I think if people end up eating more fresh, locally grown produce (providing there's enough) then that's not an entirely bad thing! (that's how we tend to shop for most things anyway).

Melsy
(@melsy)
Estimable Member

A completely different theme to the travel nightmares people are having......
do we know what the implications of this ash in the air are? I know they say to carry medication if you have a serious lung problem.
The thing is, I have been in bed a few days with temp and sinuses blocked etc and today was persuaded to go and sit in the garden. I was only outside about 20 minutes and I really found it hard to breathe. It was like something gritty was aggravating my throat to make me cough which I haven't done until now, and even now a few hours later my chest feels tight and I am still breathless (only slightly- nothing serious, but def noticeable)
I saw that our glass topped garden table was covered in a sort of fine grit too.
I wonder if its just cos I am under the weather with a cold/sinus thing that I found it difficult outside, or is it going to be a feature for lots of us, and if that grit on our table is anything to go on, we will need to thoroughly wash vegetables etc for quite a while!
Love Melanie x

myarka
(@myarka)
Illustrious Member

Some would say it's Thor's revenge for the banking crisis ;).

But personally anything that cuts emissions and food miles is a good thing.

Myarka.

Holistica1
(@holistica1)
Estimable Member

Well ......

I also feel that this is quite an apocolyptic event, I mean when has ANYTHING stopped all air travel for so long in our time?

...... I'm inclined to agree!

On the other hand I have a flight booked from Scotland to Gatwick on 26th of this month then a connecting flight from there to Greece early morning on 27th. I need to get back home ( Greece, that is) as I have to start work within a couple of days of landing there - but am starting to doubt if things will be sorted by then! Getting a bit edgy & not sure I'll get back as planned!
However safety is important and if the flights don't take off then so be it! Feel sorry for those who are stranded though.

(@urban_hippy)
Prominent Member

Is this a sign of things to come?

"We have to watch it carefully because they all behave differently. The last time it erupted it was off and on for over a year."

(@celtia)
Noble Member

Well I looked up an official definition of apocalyptic and found that it meant "involving or portending widespread devastation or ultimate doom".

I am not sure that I think it has come to that yet (although I could be very wrong), but I know what you mean. Is this the start of something big - a new way of us having to look at the way we live our lives, travel, sustain ourselves, interact with other countries etc? I believe possibly it is.

The unusual thing about this for us in the UK (or certainly in the south) is that you can't actually SEE the cloud of dust (well I can't anyway), so it is almost like an unseen force is at work. It was certainly very strange to be lying on my back in the grass yesterday afternoon, looking at a perfect blue sky and.......no vapour trails.....no distant humming of aircraft. Coudn't think of what was different at first, and then I realised...

crystal_rose
(@crystal_rose)
Famed Member

it has just been announced that the British airways are going to be shut at least till 1.PM Tuesday the holiday firms are saying health and safety gone mad but what would they say if a plane comes down. a friend of mine is stuck in Hungary at the moment my sons friend in Spain.

JoJo2504
(@jojo2504)
Noble Member

A completely different theme to the travel nightmares people are having......
do we know what the implications of this ash in the air are? I know they say to carry medication if you have a serious lung problem.
The thing is, I have been in bed a few days with temp and sinuses blocked etc and today was persuaded to go and sit in the garden. I was only outside about 20 minutes and I really found it hard to breathe. It was like something gritty was aggravating my throat to make me cough which I haven't done until now, and even now a few hours later my chest feels tight and I am still breathless (only slightly- nothing serious, but def noticeable)
I saw that our glass topped garden table was covered in a sort of fine grit too.
I wonder if its just cos I am under the weather with a cold/sinus thing that I found it difficult outside, or is it going to be a feature for lots of us, and if that grit on our table is anything to go on, we will need to thoroughly wash vegetables etc for quite a while!
Love Melanie x

Firstly I hope you are feeling better Mel, secondly I went out to my car yesterday morning and it was too covered in the grit you are talking about, like fine sand, just like the time the Sahara was blowing a gale 🙂

(@celtia)
Noble Member

Yes I agree. I am not quite sure what the dust does to aircraft if they fly, but I understand it could be bad news if it got into the engine.

As I am typing this I can hear an aircraft overhead actually, so clearly not everyone is following BA's example. I imagine that some airlines might, in the next few days, think - well let's take a chance and fly! I wouldn't like to be on those planes personally. I am not a great flier at the best of times...

sunanda
Topic starter
(@sunanda)
Illustrious Member

I shouldn't be writing this post, I should be on my way to meet a honeymoon couple to show them around London. They had booked me for today and tomorrow. I learned about an hour ago that they are stuck in Nice - so a messed up honeymoon for them and no money this week for me.
I too was thinking that in the end they'll be sending up flights with passengers having to sign waivers in case anything happens. They'll pay the crew danger money and all shall be well - until the first plane crashes and all hell breaks loose! I heard Lord Adonis on the radio this morning saying that they are possibly going to send the navy to Spain and use it as a kind of transport hub. Of course, Eurostar and the ferries are cleaning up....but the knock on effect is horrendous.
As for health queries, the advice for anyone with lung problems is to stay indoors if the ash starts falling. Risks to health are 'minimal'. That's a wonderful word isn't it?
xxx

(@fleur)
Illustrious Member

I have a relative who is work based in Denmark, and travelled back there the day before the eruption. Apparently he is now coughing really badly, and cannot even finish a sentence....so I assume the air is effected there?

Principled
(@principled_1611052765)
Famed Member

Hi all!

Like Sunanda, I was surprised that no-one had posted about this topic!

It's all incredibly serious, especially as there is a possibility that the much bigger volcano, just 12 miles away, could be triggered, as it has been the last two times this one with the unpronounceable name went off during the past few hundred years.

I was looking at the Christian Science Monitor's website today and they always have brilliant photos. Well, there are over 40 here and they really brought it home to me just how much the Icelanders need our support and prayers as they are living under this terrible cloud. The farms which are just gray ash, people wearing oxygen masks, trying to get their animals indoors and all the time living in darkness - it must be unimaginable! Also, you see the vast areas under flood water too.

First they were under an economic cloud and now a volcanic one.

Re the danger to aircraft - there have at least twice been incidents of aircraft unwittingly flying through volcanic dust and both times all engines stopped. One was British Airways back in the 80's (I think) and the other I think was KLM. I knew some of the people on the BA flight. Everything went quiet, all the lighting went off, just emergency lights. The cabin crew prepared for the worst scenario - a ditching. Thankfully, the First Officer was a glider pilot in his spare time, but he said afterwards that he never again wanted to fly such a heavy glider!

They managed to get one engine started as they descended, along with huge bursts of fire and then if I remember, another. They windscreen was completely pitted by the volcanic rock and the only bit they could see out of was a strip at the bottom of one side window, but they got everyone down safely.

I met an engineer who took the engines out and he said it was a miracle that they ever got any of them going again, they were so pitted and twisted.

What I do think though is that our government should have got planning to bring people home with the navy before now - still, better late than never.

Judy

(@scott)
Reputable Member

Just think if this had been a really major volcanic event, a la:

Anyway, I'm still waiting for the spectacular sunsets such events are supposed to provide...

Lotusflower
(@lotusflower)
Famed Member

But personally anything that cuts emissions and food miles is a good thing.

Myarka.

I don't come to HP as much as I used to and it is the flippancy of these sort of remarks IN THE PRESENT SITUATION that is the reason. Yes, we can all be wonderful eco warriors but in the real world it's a bit more complicated. My husband is stuck in Thailand as he went out for a family funeral. He was due back on Friday but goodness know when he can get out of the country (that-coupled with the political situation as well). He was due back to work today and I'm not sure when he will be back:(

So maybe think before you speak about how wonderful it is without planes.

(@clearytype)

Yes I agree. I am not quite sure what the dust does to aircraft if they fly, but I understand it could be bad news if it got into the engine.

As I am typing this I can hear an aircraft overhead actually, so clearly not everyone is following BA's example. I imagine that some airlines might, in the next few days, think - well let's take a chance and fly! I wouldn't like to be on those planes personally. I am not a great flier at the best of times...

----------------------------------------------------------
Reply: The Volcano and the air dust, is all an act of God as they say....one never knows....there are so many people wanting to travel the world these days.....this is all so new.....perhaps it is not meant to happen.....people stranded will have second thoughts about travelling so much in the future hopefully.....holidays especially.....but we feel sorry for those stranded abroad now, and here wanting to get home to other countries.....Health and Safety is important, and taken more seriously these days.....not sure I would want to risk travelling on a plane at the moment either.....safety is FAR MORE IMPORTANT. One wants to get back home of course, and safely!
The Bible tells of so many stories....this is the world. This is the earth. Perhaps it is time that people relaxed more, and not try to do so much, and earn so much.....enjoy your homes. No need to spend lots on refurbishing homes, and other things.....enjoy the peace. There were no TVs in the older days, no computers etc., not much worldwide travelling.....and of course people are emigrating all over the world now.....what's the matter with our own countries that we were born in and meant to be in.
There are floods, and volcanos, bad weather conditions.....many terrible accidents.....we just HAVE TO SLOW DOWN!!
Anyway, we all understand the frustrations of the people who cannot get home, and MAY YOU ALL GET HOME SAFE AND SOUND very very soon.
God Bless.

(@serenwen)
Noble Member

What I do think though is that our government should have got planning to bring people home with the navy before now - still, better late than never.

Judy

Possibly the government didn't know quite how long this emergency would go on for. Plus the RN ships aren't all sitting in dock waiting for a call. Most would be out at sea, presumably busy. Still if it is possible I'm sure they will respond when ordered to.

JoJo2504
(@jojo2504)
Noble Member

I heard on the news earlier on that the ash has now dispersed, there were pics of it settling onto the area around the volcano !

Principled
(@principled_1611052765)
Famed Member

----------------------------------------------------------
Reply: The Volcano and the air dust, is all an act of God as they say...

Hi Clearytype, I know this is just a figure of speech - and an insurance term at that, but it always makes me want to scream when I read it! 😮 I wish they would call it an "act of nature", which is what it is.

Obviously these are the current affairs pages and not the place to talk about God, but I just wanted to say that I don't recognise one like that! Mine is in my signature and I've proved many times that destruction, inharmony, inconvenience, disruption etc are not part of the blueprint!

Here's a link to when we were the only flight to get into Cork one day (it was below limits for fog, but lifted to let us in and out) That would not have happened had I thought the fog was an "act of God"!

Judy

crystal_rose
(@crystal_rose)
Famed Member

lovely story judy

Melsy
(@melsy)
Estimable Member

Hi Jo Jo
thank you for your kind wishes. I went to the doctor today, and apparently I don't have a chest infection (although do have sinus infection and on antibiotics now!) but he couldn't account for why my chest feels 'grazed' and so sore and congested and I am coughing continuously now. It must be the ash, cos I was fine till I went outside and this came on suddenly. I have cancelled all clients this week which hasn't gone down well with them.....
I hope those stuck by this manage a safe journey home soon. Its so far reaching. My poor son saved for ages and spent £300 on some special DJ software from the US ready for his first massive gig in London this Saturday and then the O2 the following week (yeah! I am WELL proud!) and of course, despite paying for express delivery, its stuck at an airport in America and nothing anyone can do. I know its very minor compared to being unable to get back from holidays and other trips, its just that the implications are so far reaching into so many situations. I am thankful my younger son got home from Mexico last week before this happened. I would be beside myself otherwise and have such sympathy for parents with children on school trips etc.
Love Melanie xx *still coughing!*

(@ace88)
Reputable Member

Volcano eruptions can cool the earth for up to two years, so at least we can put global warming aside for awhile...LOL.

Principled
(@principled_1611052765)
Famed Member

Well you'll soon know Ace, as apparently, the wind is going to change here at the weekend and the ash will be coming over Canada and the northern East Coast states! So watch out!

At least wisdom has prevailed over here at last and things are starting to move again!

Judy

(@scott)
Reputable Member

Well you'll soon know Ace, as apparently, the wind is going to change here at the weekend and the ash will be coming over Canada and the northern East Coast states! So watch out!

At least wisdom has prevailed over here at last and things are starting to move again!

Judy

Things *have* been moving. Just not aircraft (over a certain altitude). This isn't "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (original) after all...

And for my $.02, wisdom *has* prevailed. Just think if flights had been allowed to continue as normal and just *one* aircraft crashed?

sunanda
Topic starter
(@sunanda)
Illustrious Member

Volcano eruptions can cool the earth for up to two years, so at least we can put global warming aside for awhile...LOL.

Honestly, Ace, does any topic or subject mean anything to you other than whether or not you can get in a comment about global warming? As this is 'my' thread, I feel I can go off topic momentarily to say that it seems to me that those of us who 'believe' in climate change do so and get on with our lives, knowing that what will be will be, but acknowledging that it's a shame that we screwed up in such a major way, given the beauty of this earth of ours. However, climate change 'deniers' which is what I believe you call yourselves - sorry global warming deniers - just seem totally obsessed with telling us that we're being fooled by the socialists. Honestly, I am smiling just at the thought. Especially as it seems so obvious that Mother Nature is having one of her periodic laughs at puny man with this volcano business. Ho hum...

Anyway, this non flying thing just seems surreal to me. We shall never know if the authorities over reacted or not. Unless, God forbid, a plane goes down now. But it seems to me that the government has been particularly inept in the past couple of days, promising naval ships to evacuate stranded passengers and then only sending one. Promising a fleet of 150 coaches to transport people from a 'hub' in Madrid - and then delaying sending any. Radio reports this morning told of confusion reigning. Not much efficiency being exhibited, I fear. Not a good sign for Gordon in the run up to an election.

xxx

meta
(@meta)
Estimable Member

Hi Clearytype, I know this is just a figure of speech - and an insurance term at that, but it always makes me want to scream when I read it! 😮 I wish they would call it an "act of nature", which is what it is.

Obviously these are the current affairs pages and not the place to talk about God, but I just wanted to say that I don't recognise one like that! Mine is in my signature and I've proved many times that destruction, inharmony, inconvenience, disruption etc are not part of the blueprint!

Here's a link to when we were the only flight to get into Cork one day (it was below limits for fog, but lifted to let us in and out) That would not have happened had I thought the fog was an "act of God"!

Judy

Act of nature?????? Nature is but another name for God, unless one thinks there are other powers beside God in exsistance. What seems to be a bad thing in nature needs to be translated as God power and not give something else (so called) power. As evil or error is but a negation of the facts, a translation by spiritual thought is needed to see the grand beauty of it, and know it's harmless, and not credit this event to the devil nature, or adversity. Science is thus so. Think beside science, and dogma rules. Regards Meta

Venetian
(@venetian)
Illustrious Member

Act of nature?????? Nature is but another name for God

I agree with that. It's antiquated language, though, to call it an "act of God". What, some large man with a white beard in the clouds? But yes, I definitely see Nature as being a part of 'God'. As such, this to me is an aspect of God, as Nature, giving vent (yes, literally) to a build-up of pressure needing to be released. 🙂

V

Venetian
(@venetian)
Illustrious Member

It looks like this was a non-serious comment? Or maybe you beleived it. Alas, no, it's actually a very minor eruption (only its effect upon flights has been major and caused disruption and headlines), but it's an eruption of only, say, one-hundredth the size of anything likely to have any real effect upon the atmosphere so as to cause cooling.

V

Page 1 / 2
Share: