Nasal polyps. Don't give up!
Nasal polyps. Don't give up! You can overcome this condition with perseverance and time. This worked for me, hopefully it will for you.
I first developed nasal problems when I was 15yrs old and have had on-going nasal trouble for the past 40 years. The medical profession in the 1970's & 80's just kept prescribing this new magic bullet, antibiotics. I developed asthma in my thirties, this time steroids were prescribed. No one ever discussed my awful high (Scottish) sugar/yeast diet at the time.
This spring (2011) I had really bad Rhinitis with my polyps swelling up causing a blocked, runny nose, headaches, loss of sleep etc. You all know the drill. Medics put me on stronger antibiotics, stronger steroids (spray/drops didn't work) & antihistamines (3rd generation) there was an improvement but polyps came back with a vengeance once the treatment ran it's course.
I had the inevitable operation in July, my fourth. Thank god for the NHS. However my sinuses were still blocked so I was prescribed the usual steroid spray & antihistamines.
Fight back! -
1) I discovered that I had an intolerance to yeast. I waited till my nose had settled down as best it could and mixing bakers yeast into a glass of warm water. I drank it down and waited, it didn't take long, within 1/2 an hour my nose had seized up, was running and I had a sneezing fit with a wheezy chest. Not scientific I know, but good enough for me. So I cut out yeast from my diet. No alcohol, especially beer, wine, cheap white processed bread, cheap pasta, cakes, biscuits etc. Blue vein type cheeses, mushrooms, convenience snacks. No alcohol.
2) cut out E numbers, sulphites & additives. Not as hard as I thought. Avoid brightly coloured artificial looking, highly advertised/promoted foodstuffs. Check the labels anything that sounds like it's from a lab probably is. If in doubt, avoid it, you won't die as a result. No convenience fast food, fizzy drinks, snacks, sweets. Etc.
3) Cut down on sugar. It feeds the over-active yeast in the stomach. I reduced my sugar intake by about 70%. I used the darkest, rawest sugar I could find or honey/maple syrup if I wanted a sweet taste. I did find that over time my craving for sugar decreased. I avoided processed white sugar at all costs. Drank vegetable juice and water only. I found j8 veg juice drink was very good. Dark coloured good quality smoothies as well.
4) Neilmed nasal flush system - a life saver, helps shift that awful thick sticky catarrh without having to blow my nose so hard. It takes up time but stick with it and read the comprehensive instruction book that comes with it. I bought an additional pack and kept it in my car with a thermos of warm water.
5) I avoided coffee, pineapple (found out I was allergic) drank tea with a small amount of dark sugar instead, no milk.
6) control the yeast from your gut. I take pre & probiotic foods, yoghurts, organic no added fruit, I add my own berries/fruit. Dark chocolate min 70%. I eat only sourdough bread.
7. Use natural anti-inflammatory foods. One clove of garlic daily. (Cut it into little fingers and put them inside seeded green olives). 10 mils of cod-liver oil daily, oily fish, vitamin c with zinc daily. Avocado's. Used the Buteyko breathing method, co2 is a natural anti inflammatory. I find it works and it's free.
8. I used anti snoring nose strips, to help me sleep.
It took about 4 months but slowly my sinuses started to clear and I stopped taking the steroids. I cut down dramatically on my inhaler and stopped taking daily antihistamines.
So more than a year later I haven't used steroids. No sign of my polyps coming back, my nose is clear and I can even have a small glass of wine now and again. I can drink vodka & gin in moderation and even a pint of beer occasionally. I only eat sourdough bread. Occasionally I feel my nose itching up and take one antihistamine tablet that soon sorts it out. I’ve lost about a stone in weight as well!
I hope this posting is useful and wish you luck with your self help. Please respond if you have anything you would like to share with me.
Last edited by Energylz; 6th July 2012 at 12:48 PM.
Reason: email address removed - not permitted on the forums